Sega Saturn Model/Board Revision FAQ?

That marker is for the manufacture date of the case and there's no way of telling when the case was made compared to when the Saturn was assembled.

well these markers on my Saturn case would mean it was made in *MAY* 1995 :huh

Moreover, what does the 'JPN/USA/MULTI' thing signify? Do they mean PAL by MULTI?

This is why i can't believe that there were 4 offcial regions for the saturn. Multi seems to generally mean PAL systems (Oz, Euro, etcs). Unless someone can produce the jumper setting and show a case that shows Asia PAL or Asia NTSC (whichever one it was supposed to be), then i can't count it in. If someone can produce pics of the disc of an original game set for this mystery region, then i could probably count it.

all the system shells i've seen only have 3 regions mentioned...USA, JPN, and Multi.

Antipasta, it's entirely possible that your system's life began in 1995. It's my guess that the production on a revised board begins several months before those revised boards it the market...the PS2 is a great example....they announced the SCPH-50000 series when it was jsut about ready to go into the market, but in order to announce it, the board was probably being revised as early as a year ago.

my April 1996 system (O-21/64) began it's life in 1995, according the the copyright markings on the *BOTTOM* of the main board:

Note: Controller port and LED board is a seperate component on this model.

Bottom of Mainboard:

171-7128C

© SEGA 1995 PC BD SATURN

MAIN VA SG

Top of main board:

(Reverse RU)E91964 340

94V-0

837-12126

MADE IN JAPAN

IC BD SATURN MAIN VA SG

Sticker on main board:

AE604240000

Back Sticker:

Model No.: MK-80000

Power Source: AC 120V 60Hz 25W

SEGA Enterprises, Ltd. IV

Serial No.: AE62055140

Made In Malaysia 670-7921 D

Lower Shell Sticker:

April, 1996 IV 670-70134A

Lower Shell, Internal:

4/96 USA E)

19-XXXX

04080-10-1

E) JSR NC 471

Upper Case, Internal:

7/95 (bastardized case) USA C)

19-XXXX

04070-08-1

C) JSR NX277

Shell, controller board, power supply, and CD-Rom drive are all going to be used to ressurect other dead systems.

/<

I wouldn't get too worried about the country designation of the shell components. I'm 99% that one of my Euro Saturns is marked as being 'US'.

i'm not actually worried too much about it...except that i do try to keep the bottom shell with the same mainboard, since the US saturns are all marked as being manufactured at a certain month/year, which is the only reason i have as much information as i do about the revisions and when they occurred.

also, on the US saturns, the cd-drive lids are exchangable between all models as far as i can tell, but the Round saturns have a clear window, where as the oval saturns have a darker tinted window.

I'm gonna start to do more work on this in a few weeks since i finally have some time to work on my saturns again.

I'm probably going to only focus on US saturns and the occasional oddball saturn (derby, HiSAturn, V-Saturn, etc)

sorry i've been away for so long

/<

Back