p2p and Firewalls

Jaded God

Established Member
I am using a p2p such as Blubster and it just says Connecting... And doesn't want to connect after installing my wireless linksys router. I am wondering about the settings to add to the ports or gateways...

Any info would be appreciated.

In my experience, it has little to do with the firewall, and everything to do with you now having a passive connection. I even put my PC into a DMZ on my (wired) Linksys router, and I still can't connect to others behind routers, etc. So my p2p sources have been cut back a lot. The good news is less people download from me on p2p, and I can still send and recieve files directly via AIM and similar.

You should still be able to get ON blubster or whatever. If your computer has a fixed address on the network (doesn't change if you shut down all your devices and power them on in a different order), you can put your computer in a DMZ. I would NOT do this if you don't use a software firewall on your PC, too. Alternatively, you can open ports for individual programs for your PC (again, you need a static address first). Blubster uses UDP, but I don't know the port range from glancing at their site. I'd recommend searching through your manual for DMZ (they should have a pdf of it at linksys).

I dont want to use firewall software so the DMZ is kinda cut from ideas. There has to be a way to connect.

Originally posted by Jaded God@Jul 31, 2004 @ 05:12 AM

I dont want to use firewall software so the DMZ is kinda cut from ideas. There has to be a way to connect.

You don't want to use the best thing ever made for protecting computers, even though it uses very little resources and doesn't interfere with anything.

Right. Well have fun with that... you're going to need to open individual ports for all your p2p programs and anything else that needs it.

Forwarding ports is always a better (safe) solution, even if you need to forward many ports... having a windows machine on DMZ is not good.. Firewalls are *good* but you end up allowing some processes to listen on some ports, and as everyone knows, every listening process is a threat, windows' ones are real danger :p

Go and google for the ports that your p2p app uses, and forward them to your pc internal ip adress..

Originally posted by IBarracudaI@Aug 1, 2004 @ 01:11 AM

Firewalls are *good* but you end up allowing some processes to listen on some ports, and as everyone knows, every listening process is a threat, windows' ones are real danger :p

That's why you use a firewall that secures programs. Something like ZoneAlarm. Being DMZ is no more dangerous than connecting to the internet directly, with no router. :rolleyes:

you're right on that one :) that's why I don't connect any of my windows machines directly to the internet, i either use some hardware router or a linux-based one :D

Back on topic... DMZ is an easy way to solve your problems, and for some _stupid_ apps, unfortunately it's the only choice. again.. try finding out what ports do your programs need open and forward them, if you can't find them or the prog uses some kind of random ports.. then go DMZ :p

I never did fully understand routers... I have a wireless linkysys g and I am in the properties of it now... Which tab do I select and put the port numbers into... You put the numbers of the p2p program on the setup of your router and dont touch the settings in the p2p?

Back