PACHUKA's modded saturn of doom!

saturn-PDRM0032.JPG

This is my new "lid open close" switch. Originally, I was going to make this switch control the door at all times. Instead, I went with leaving the door switch alone, and making this switch a "door allways closed" on/off.

saturn-PDRM0030.JPG

this is my country mod dial. The intructions online for switches were really kinda lame, and mostly just for jap/usa. This dial controls all 16 of the various country code settings. Usa, jap, euro, south america, asia pal, korea, you name it. and right to the left of it we have:

saturn-PDRM0029.JPG

My cd-access light! See, I have the newer, (and in my opinion better) model saturn, without the cd access LED. So with a little research, a LED was built for this.

saturn-PDRM0033.JPG

why replace that horrid watch battery over and over, spend $$$ and only have it last a small chunk of time. With this, it will last a million times longer. Plus, that battery pack slips right back in that slot :)

And behold, the coolest part:

blinky.gif

MULTICOLORED BLINKING LED!!!

Originally posted by schi0249@May 19, 2004 @ 06:03 PM

That all looks pretty cool. I really like the battery mod.

Yeah the battery modification is cool i wonder how long the battery life of the saturn will last now 10 years plus im guessing.

Two things: I have found that the CR2032s don't have a horrible lifespan if you use the console in question. Also, isn't it going to attempt to feed your "costco brand" non-rechargeable AAs a charge while it is running? Isn't that, umm, dangerous?

PACHUKA on your site i remember you positng about this on the boards. is there any chances of you posting tutorials on how to makes a door switch and put the led back in a model 2?

Hey PACHUKA, would u be able to tell us how to put the Access light into our model 2's. That would be superb for me. Thanks man!

Originally posted by Alexvrb@May 19, 2004 @ 07:12 AM

Two things: I have found that the CR2032s don't have a horrible lifespan if you use the console in question. Also, isn't it going to attempt to feed your "costco brand" non-rechargeable AAs a charge while it is running? Isn't that, umm, dangerous?

The CR2032s aren't rechargable anyway - they are just standard lithium cells. As far as I know, there is no current being fed to them by the Saturn when it is powered up.

Well, the big problem with the battery mod is that your VCD card wouldn't fit it. Granted, not many people have one, outside the few who imported from Japan/China, but its still something to think about.

C´mon who these days watches VCD´s? Much less on a Saturn since pretty much all DVD players can play them. Awesome mod work PACHUKA!

this is my country mod dial. The intructions online for switches were really kinda lame, and mostly just for jap/usa. This dial controls all 16 of the various country code settings. Usa, jap, euro, south america, asia pal, korea, you name it. and right to the left of it we have:

neat idea. Do you other selections have any actual benefits other standard (UK/US/JAp) settings though, Guess its too much to hope there is a sega reserved mode that makes it region free and auto selecting? lol you live in hope. What do the sega reserved selections do, are they just unused?

why replace that horrid watch battery over and over, spend $$$ and only have it last a small chunk of time. With this, it will last a million times longer. Plus, that battery pack slips right back in that slot

well a normal CR2032 has an average capacity of 200 mAh and a set of 2 AA alkaline batteries should have a rating of about 1200mAh. Great you might say, 6 times the capacity, six times the length between changes. Not so I am afraid, one is that alkaline batteries aren't well suited for low current applications such as this and alkaline batteries don't give a constant voltage over its lifetime, it drops with age. Alkaline batteries are also heat sensitive, in hgih current applications this is good as the warmer they are the more the capacity increase, unfortunately in low current applications the warmer they are the bigger the leakage of charge and in a sealed saturn unit they will get warm lol.

Rechargable batteries are a no-no as they lose half their charge in a month if they are used or not.

. A CR2032 is a lithium battery which is more suited for low current applications and will give a rock solid 3v until the moment it dies. Personally I'd stick with the coin cell, it should last you a few years anyway, hardly a major inconvieniance

You could just use specialized lithium AA batteries and get the best of both worlds i suppose lol but these cost so you lose the cost saving.

Back