PAL version of Sonic The Hedgehog for MD/Genesis

Right...

I have two cartridges of the PAL edition of Sonic The Hedgehog.

I've tried them on my two Model 1 (but without the "High Definition" blurb) PAL Megadrives (Genesis-es!).

I swear, these games are far too slow. This must surely be because they were not optimised (sped up) for 50Hz? Just play Sonic on an emulator, or even on Sonic Jam, then play the PAL version on a Megadrive.

The music's too slow, Sonic doesn't seem all that fast any more, and it just generally sucks, at least when compared to the 'proper' version. And there are massive 'badly converted 50Hz game' borders.

Why didn't I notice this when I was a whippersnapper? It's only now that I've realised how slow and sloth-like the game seems.

To explain what I mean about the 50Hz thing (not insulting anyone's intelligence; just in case you don't know, since many people don't), when the games were originally released in Japan and America (NTSC), they would have been 60Hz (30 frames per second). Then, for the conversion to 50Hz PAL (crappy European TV format, 25 frames per second), the game's physics should have been sped up to compensate for the lower frame rate while still maintaining approximately the same speed.

For example if Sonic moved 1 unit every second in 60Hz NTSC, he should move 1.2 units every second in 50Hz PAL, to make up for the number of frames per second. Obviously, that was just a really simplified explanation, but hopefully you get the idea! :)

Clearly, someone forgot or just was too plain lazy to do this - and now the PAL games just seem really dodgy once you've played the game at the proper speed. :damn: I still can't believe I didn't notice it before though, with my first Megadrive.

Yeah, the majority of PAL MD games that were originally developed for NTSC are not optimized. There are a few exceptions, though.... Alien Soldier comes to mind.

Of course, the reverse is true as well, but I can only think of a few PAL-developed titles that are actually worth playing - The Chaos Engine, Micro Machines series, Mega Turrican (not sure about that one), and perhaps SWOS.

Yeah, I think PAL 4.43 (PAL60) would be better than NTSC if it were a more common format? A 625 line display with 60Hz would be quite cool, although I think PAL 4.43 only uses 525 lines.

PAL ain't that bad, just in the refresh rate, and thus smoothness, area. :)

Are the HD-TV standards going to be used around the globe? Not that anyone here in the states is really using it but still...

I really hope so...

A proper TV standard which is supported anywhere would be very handy. Especially as the fact that Europe gets 50Hz means that we do suffer from degraded video quality. :(

Back