Panzer Dragoon was in development for the DC

Over at www.segaworldweekly.com someone on the message board posted this...

"Last week my brother and I went on a SEGA shopping spree. We went to 4 different places to find DC games to add to our little collection. At one place, Playmania, there sat on the DC shelf Panzer Dragoon Zwei for DC. It is was a Japanese import. I almost bought it....but I had to save my money for Shenmue 2 (which is also import). In beginning of Feb. I hope to go back and see if it is still there. However this store also sells Saturn games which I plan to buy next month. The question is: Should I buy the Japanese import of PD2 for DC or should I try to find an PD2 for Saturn? "

The message was then relayed to alwaysgame.com/bboard where "Sonic" (an employee within Sega) responded...

"It would be best to take this with a grain of salt. The Dreamcast did have Panzer Dragoon at one time, but it was a new version and not a remake of the 2nd game. The thing is, there was a Saturn emulator that was partially usable. But I talked with a few Japanese employees and they know nothing of it. You can consider this purely a rumor.

Sonic"

Two very interesting pieces of news there...Panzer Dragoon was in development for the DC and a Saturn emulator was made by Sega. Very interesting!

hmmm... interesting. what about the japanese version (stand-alone) of Virtua Cop 2 (not the smash-pak)? was that emulated or simply simulated? i remember it got a really low rating on ign because it was an exact replica of the saturn version, not the arcade version. (low framerate, jaggies, etc)

Virtua Cop 2 for the DC (both the standalone verion & in the smash pack) is a port of the PC version, which in turn is apparantly a bad port of the Saturn version.

I remember hearing rumours before the DC was released that Sega were working on a Saturn emulator for the DC, so it is possible that an early beta version does exist somewhere within the Sega corperation.

Now if only someone could get their hands on it ... ;)

Perhaps Sega was trying to cash in on some of their more popular saturn titles by releasing them with an emulator...No port job so the profits would have been maximized.

What I wouldn't give to play some of the Saturn titles in 640x480.

Update:

http://alwaysgame.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=00036y&topic_id=SEGA Forum&topic=

"Spill what beans? I plead the 5th!!!! The Dreamcast had a partially working emulator of the Saturn. The SH2 code was the easiest from what I know, but getitng the 2nd paralell SH2 to work was a bit difficult but they still managed to get the thing working. The sound processors were more of a cinch from what I understand. The hard thing was the VDP1 and 2. Was the emulator working? Only partially with alot of bugs. Was it ever finished? Nope, the project was canned for some obvious reasons. Not enough Saturn owners to make the project worthwhile.

The Panzer Dragoon originally on the Dreamcast has since headed elsewhere............tot he land of X.

Sonic"

(Edited by 3rdman at 3:42 pm on Jan. 16, 2002)

Back