PDS Burning Question

I've download the files from ralos' great FTP and I've come up with somewhat of a problem. The files have to way to be joined, they are only a series of files with the extentions ranging from 001 to 014 with no rar or ace file acting to join them. What would solve this problem?

Use WinRAR to convert 001 to Windows console RAR SFX.
smile.gif

Opening the 001 file in WinRAR sounds about right.

Anyone know why files end up getting named this way?

i think the newer versions of winrar use that naming convention automatically, don't hold me to that though

I don't know about old ACE programs, but AFAIK recent ones use .ace, .c00, .c01, .c02 etc.

I'm not aware of any archive format that "natively" uses the .001 convention - my guess is that this was invented by warez groups to counteract the confusion that can occur with the normal RAR naming conventions: .rar is actually the first file in the archive, but it's listed last alphabetically, file .rxx is actually the xx+2th file, a release with the last file being .rxx actually has xx+2 files, etc.

Originally posted by ExCyber@June 06 2002,13:00

I don't know about old ACE programs, but AFAIK recent ones use .ace, .c00, .c01, .c02 etc.

I'm not aware of any archive format that "natively" uses the .001 convention - my guess is that this was invented by warez groups to counteract the confusion that can occur with the normal RAR naming conventions: .rar is actually the first file in the archive, but it's listed last alphabetically, file .rxx is actually the xx+2th file, a release with the last file being .rxx actually has xx+2 files, etc.

I agree. I also thought that it's a quicker way to recognize how many files there are in the archive, given the numerical ordering starting at 001.

Originally posted by ExCyber@June 07 2002,04:00

my guess is that this was invented by warez groups to counteract the confusion that can occur with the normal RAR naming conventions

Yeah, because the RAR file naming system is really hard to grasp.
sarcasm.gif

Back