Phantasy Star Collection

Ratamahatta

Established Member
Were all these games on the disc reporgrammed expecially for the saturn? Because I remember the sound for PS1 being quite a bit different than the way it sounds on the disc.

don't know much about the collection, but i doubt they were reprogrammed, it's probalby emulated and the quality of the emulation can differ how it actually sounds (compare sonic 1 in sonic jam for saturn and in sega classics for dreamcast, there's a large difference in sound quality there, saturn version being much better :) )

Or compare the sound on the Sega Smash Pack to the real games, you'll notice a huge difference. But I don't really know if it was reprogrammed or not for PSCollection.

Well I know the smash pack and all them were emulated, but ps1's music actually sounds really good, compared to the original. (I own practically every PS game for their original systems anyways) I was just curious.

I would guess that it uses the FM sound on the saturn version too.

the japanese version of the SMS has an additional FM soundchip, and the jap. PS1 supports that, improving the music by quite a bit.

the chip doesn't exist in the US/PAL SMS, tho, and the US PS1 has support removed too.

Back