Piracy, and lies...

SkankinMonkey

Established Member
Yale has run an article about the RIAA/MPAA/etc and basically movie piracy. It's a good read and points out that their monetary losses are usually just baseless figures they grabbed from the tooth fairy.

No doubt it does hurt the industry a bit, but how much money do they really need? heh, on a side note, I went to spiderman yesterday and saw an anti-piracy 'notice' on the movie theatres entrance, I was considering borrowing it and scanning it, just gotta find a way to get it without them noticing
wink.gif

How is that movie? Havent heard about it in germany =(

Anyways yea. Well SOON they wont even have VHS or DVD it will all be some sorta pay per veiw thing, just wait =P

Originally posted by Mysticales@May 19 2002,21:19

How is that movie? Havent heard about it in germany =(

Anyways yea. Well SOON they wont even have VHS or DVD it will all be some sorta pay per veiw thing, just wait =P

It was okay, the CG was mediocre and he didn't score in the graveyard like I wanted him to.

the movie was ok the best sceen in my opinion was obtainable for free in the trailer

|

V

Someone told me long ago, there's a calm before the storm.

I know, and it's been comin' for some time.

When it's over, so they say, it'll rain a sunny day.

I know, shinin' down like water.

I want to know, have you ever seen the rain?

I want to know, have you ever seen the rain

comin' down on a sunny day?

Yesterday, and days before, sun is cold and rain is hard.

I know, been that way for all my time.

'Til forever on it goes through the circle fast and slow,

I know, and it can't stop, I wonder.

I want to know, have you ever seen the rain?

I want to know, have you ever seen the rain

comin' down on a sunny day?

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@May 18 2002,21:20

It was okay, the CG was mediocre and he didn't score in the graveyard like I wanted him to.

the CG was mediocre?! most people couldnt even tell the difference...... the suit was even made to where it looked CG. but the movie did rock.

and my theater has one of those signs that say "Piracy is against the law." and has a picture of a pirate with the circle and slash over it. it's funny how people still seem to make pirate movies even though the law is "enforced."

The movie was very underwhelming. However, as far as the character of Peter Parker is concerned, it did a pretty good job of sticking to the comic.

See Blade II.
smile.gif

Yale has run an article

That's a Lawmeme story; saying that Yale ran the story is a little misleading. Anyway, always good to hear people mentioning this stuff - the figures are, at best, extremely rough estimates, and probably biased toward higher figures. Assuming that they're really interested in actual statistics, the best they can probably do is hire some people to hang out in IRC channels and watch the queue lists for a while, guess at FTP/Direct Connect/Hotline/FastTrack/Gnutella figures, and extrapolate from the numbers they get. The technology to track every single copy of a movie/song/whatever simply doesn't exist. However, I'm not convinced that these companies see piracy as their biggest threat. I actually suspect that the movie studios and record companies want piracy to continue so that they can use it as an argument to consolidate their power over distribution and give it the force of law with insane bills like the SSSCA/CBDTPA - with the proliferation of fairly cheap digital cameras and with computers quickly becoming capable of being full-service video/audio editing / post-production tools, and the Internet providing for wider and more efficient distribution than any single company could ever hope to provide, the services provided to the actual creators by the titans of the copyright industry are quickly becoming irrelevant...

heh, on a side note, I went to spiderman yesterday and saw an anti-piracy 'notice' on the movie theatres entrance, I was considering borrowing it and scanning it, just gotta find a way to get it without them noticing

Hmm... pirating an anti-piracy advertisement. I don't know whether I should think that's ironic or appropriate.
tongue.gif

Originally posted by ExCyber@May 19 2002,19:28

Anyway, always good to hear people mentioning this stuff - the figures are, at best, extremely rough estimates, and probably biased toward higher figures.

Yeah, the numbers always seem to be grossly over-exaggerated.

I could have punched my TV set when I hear that RIAA guy at the Grammy’s say how he had 3 people downloading songs for 2 days straight and how they got a total of 6,000 songs, and then for everybody to imagine the howeveremany people who download mp3's doing that, and then said how its such a problem and that's why the music industry is loosing money.

Yeah, that guy was so full of crap it's not even funny. Aside from the fact that he paid a minor to commit a criminal offense, he's trying to suggest that casual users have the same downloading patterns as people who leeched as a full-time job and that every copy somehow directly represents damage. I suppose if he managed to stumble into a Richard Stallman speech, he'd run out of the room clutching his head and growling.

Yeah, before the internet was so big and popular the recording industry complained about album radio shows. (DJ would play the whole album non stop and even cued his audience when to stat recording.) AH, those were the days. Of course the sound quality wasn't a good as digital, but no one had digital playback so who cared. Now, mostly only outlaw radio or college stations may still do this. What next? I suppose that if you can't download mp3's you could just do a digital recording from a net radio cast and convert it to an mp3, if thats possible.

Of course, you might not able to download from Net broadcasts, because they might not exist. The current political climate suggests that net broadcasters will have to pay a flat royalty rate of .14 cents per song per listener, and (here's the killer) have to pay this retroactively to October 1998. If this is approved, it will kill a ton of small-time net broadcasters.

Originally posted by ExCyber@May 21 2002,01:07

Of course, you might not able to download from Net broadcasts, because they might not exist. The current political climate suggests that net broadcasters will have to pay a flat royalty rate of .14 cents per song per listener, and (here's the killer) have to pay this retroactively to October 1998. If this is approved, it will kill a ton of small-time net broadcasters.

I hate to sound cynical, but net radio is a joke, only since the recent ogg RC's has it actually sounded good (ie, Radio 1 on the BBC which was recently taken down for some mysterious 'legal' reason), mp3 sounded like crap unless you pumped the bitrate up, and RAM sucked, unless you were stuck in 1994 on a 28.8 modem.

Personal/Pirate radio is the way to go, from what I've heard it's really big on the actual airwaves in Europe (along with pirate TV stations). I think these things are great, they promote a subculture that just can't be expressed with commercial radio and the likes.

Originally posted by ExCyber@May 20 2002,22:07

net broadcasters will have to pay a flat royalty rate of .14 cents per song per listener, and (here's the killer) have to pay this retroactively to October 1998.

This is one of those things about the DMCA that I can't understand.

The way it's written, people are now liable for breaking the law BEFORE it was a law?!

This makes sense how? Do you have to be a corrupt beaurocrat or a rich corporate fat-cat to understand it?

My question is, Who are the real pirates here?

Originally posted by Random Hajile@May 21 2002,01:23

My question is, Who are the real pirates here?

Technically, the people that play the music on air without the artist's permission is the pirate. If you wrote a song, and all these DJ's were making thousands of dollars off of the radio play/advertisements, or if you saw your song in a commercial, wouldn't you want your royalties? Damn right you would.

It seems like the music industry (and big buisiness for that matter) has become a bit paranoid, How much harm can a cra**y Real-Audio based net radio show really do? seriously.
sarcasm.gif

What I'm alarmed about is the retro-active payment thing, What? are people supposed to be psychic? are we supposed to know what they are going to outlaw before they do? ???

This is a little nuts, don't you think?

When I said "who are the pirates?" I was talking about the record companies, they're the ones behind all this, they get most of the money from the sales of the CD's anyway, not the musician, just ask Prince
smile.gif
LOL

Originally posted by Random Hajile@May 21 2002,01:48

It seems like the music industry (and big buisiness for that matter) has become a bit paranoid, How much harm can a cra**y Real-Audio based net radio show really do? seriously.
sarcasm.gif

What I'm alarmed about is the retro-active payment thing, What? are people supposed to be psychic? are we supposed to know what they are going to outlaw before they do? ???

This is a little nuts, don't you think?

When I said "who are the pirates?" I was talking about the record companies, they're the ones behind all this, they get most of the money from the sales of the CD's anyway, not the musician, just ask Prince
smile.gif
LOL

I totally agree that they are going out of hand, but I also agree that the artists should get their royalties, you gotta realize that every band out there isn't a limp bizkit, or backdoor boys that makes 10 million dollars.

Back