Pirate chinese dvds in wallmart!?!

Cecilia Chen

Ban Hammered
Hey guys,

This is pretty funny. I walked into a Wallmart, and they are trying to sell Chinese movies (No doubt since there is a trend towards stars like Jet-Li, ect). Anyway, just to humour myself, I looked at some of the movies (all must be crappy and dubbed). To my supprise they were selling movies like "Lord of the wu tang" which are odviously un-authorized pirates!

I know this for a fact, because in the case of this "Lord of the wu tang" movie, I have the original real Chinese DVD! First of all, the picture quality is a total joke in the english pirate. Who ever pirated the movie and mastered the DVD is just a moron! Second, the title makes no sence, since nowhere in the movie do they even talk about anything named Wu tang!!! Odviously they changed a name because a popular US music group called "Wu Tang" might drum up more bussiness.

And the laughs don't end yet!!! Whats even more funny, is that in the orignal Chinese movie, they show a few minutes at the start to explain the storyline since the movie based on the real book. There are many books, and its complicated. So the intro is needed. So guess what those Genius's did!!!???

They cut the entire intro out and jump right into the story! Why!?!?! Because the title of the movie is NOT EVEN CLOSE to their fake made up name called "Lord of the wu tang"! That and I suppose they wanted to make a lame attempt to delete the credits interlaced in the intro story!?!?

And on top of ALL THIS, "wu tang" dosn't even make sence! Who ever picked the name for the music group, and who ever had the GREAT idea to pirate a chinese movie and give it a fake name (Just to cash in on jet-li and the music band) is really dumb. "Wu tang" in Mandarin is "5 Soup". WTF is 5 soup!?! At least if your gonna make up a Chinese sounding name, ask a chinese person what it means! If it means anything!

smile.gif

The funny thing is, I bet they still sell these dumb DVDs all over the place because most people don't know the chinese movie, or where to even get it for that matter.

Even movies you can rent at blockbuster (Like "The Legend" and "Twin Warriors") are pretty funny. Expecialy if you know the REAL chinese movie and name. The subtitling is usualy totaly wrong, and modded to suit all the name changes, edits, ect. That, dispite the fact that they still say the orignal words in Chinese (Unless they dub it which is even worse!)

Funny stuff those wallmart guys
smile.gif

Thats what somebody should do give her a nickname

somthing like "Wu Tang Master " or "Shoalin Sensai "

I doubt that wallmart would sell pirated movies . Chances are some hollywood company bought the rights to distibute these movies and images in North America . They then sell them for $10 because demand for these movies is probably pretty low . So since there tring to keep cost down they they do a very poor job on the transfer job and artwork images ect .

Also ive heard that alot of dvd players will not play movies for other contries dvds .

Hmm, Wal-Mart could sell bootleg movies if they're not aware they are bootleg. I've heard a large department store approached VKLL (a anime fansubber) and asked if they could distribute his videos (he kindly informed them he did not have the rights to distibute the tapes). And the DVDs can be region free, meaning they will work on any DVD player.

Re:

""Wu tang" in Mandarin is "5 Soup". WTF is 5 soup!?! At least if your gonna make up a Chinese sounding name, ask a chinese person what it means! If it means anything!"

*LMAO*

/wipes tears from eyes

This thread is funny as hell... I wondered wtf Wu Tang Clan meant

It wouldn't surprise me, although I bet WalMart in general is clueless to such things, they're probably buying blindly off a slick pirating business.

On the DVD region thang, you can kill that, on a PC DVD-ROM drive anyways.

www.firmware.fr.st (Be careful, you can screw up your drive if you don't run the right version... if you don't need the regions, don't bother.)

It's why every DVD player I buy from now on will be for PC, where I can add the codecs (AC-3, DTS, and whatever else comes out) by software, rather than having to buy a whole damn new machine again.

Originally posted by archiver@April 24 2002,04:03

Re:

""Wu tang" in Mandarin is "5 Soup". WTF is 5 soup!?! At least if your gonna make up a Chinese sounding name, ask a chinese person what it means! If it means anything!"

*LMAO*

/wipes tears from eyes

This thread is funny as hell... I wondered wtf Wu Tang Clan meant

It wouldn't surprise me, although I bet WalMart in general is clueless to such things, they're probably buying blindly off a slick pirating business.

On the DVD region thang, you can kill that, on a PC DVD-ROM drive anyways.

www.firmware.fr.st (Be careful, you can screw up your drive if you don't run the right version... if you don't need the regions, don't bother.)

It's why every DVD player I buy from now on will be for PC, where I can add the codecs (AC-3, DTS, and whatever else comes out) by software, rather than having to buy a whole damn new machine again.

Don't fuck with the 5 variations of soup, they will kill you.

Xavier --> CC is correct, that movie is a pirate. As far as I know, the only people licenced to make it is "Mei Ah Laser Co". That, and the fact that its painfully odviously its a fake. People in the US just don't care since who is gonna come from china to sue them, over some crappy $10 pirate that makes them almost no money?

Besides, all the people who know about the movie and want to purchase it wouldn't goto wallmart. They would goto a Chinese store and buy the real thing.

Don't make fun of Wu Tang!! I happen to have a red sash in split pea and ham style, one of the five essential soup styles of kung fu. I've just started studying chowder style so i can have both the external and an internal style of soup kung fu. Tomorrow I learn how to break saltenes with one hand. OH THE POWER I FEEL SURGING THROUGH ME!!!!!!!!!! Damn! Gotta pee.

It's why every DVD player I buy from now on will be for PC, where I can add the codecs (AC-3, DTS, and whatever else comes out) by software, rather than having to buy a whole damn new machine again

Why dont you just ask the sales rep for a multi region DVD player? their eyes usually light up and tell you where to get them

Wu-Tang is actually a group not a band, and i heard that Wu-Tang was some kung fu thing. they DO know some chinese. and a multireagion dvd player has everything to do with buying a dvd rom drive. would you rather sit in front of a computer ruining your eyes from it's awesome screen resolution or use a safer TV? not to mention i think a DVD player is a lot cheaper than buying a dvd rom and then finding all the codecs. not to mention that most dvds from china are region free, or so i heard. and if you're really going to get THAT many dvd's from china or some other country, might as well buy the dvd player.

Wu-Tang is actually a group not a band

No, they're a clan.
wink.gif

i heard that Wu-Tang was some kung fu thing

Hey, I think I'll ignore the statements of the person who actually knows Chinese in favor of "I heard it was a kung fu thing". Thanks for bringing an authoritative air to the thread.

a multireagion dvd player has everything to do with buying a dvd rom drive. would you rather sit in front of a computer ruining your eyes from it's awesome screen resolution or use a safer TV?

A high-res screen with a good refresh rate ruins your eyes? Come on, tell us another one, with feeling this time.

not to mention i think a DVD player is a lot cheaper than buying a dvd rom and then finding all the codecs.

Yeah, finding codecs is really expensive.

not to mention that most dvds from china are region free, or so i heard. and if you're really going to get THAT many dvd's from china or some other country, might as well buy the dvd player.

Unless, of course, you've got concerns about supporting new / non-standard codecs...

jastnorn --> I don't know the music group Wu Tang Clan at all, I just heard of them. So...... Lucky me, I did a lookup on them and you know what? They arn't even Chinese! Nor even asian for that matter! All I saw was some rappers who were wearing black hoods and winter gear on (Like winter hats ect) in the summer. Doesn't that get a bit warm!?!

Anyway, besides that, I highly doubt they have a clue what their talking about. One day someone came into a Chinese chat room (Trying to pick up girls, like me!?! ) and he used the alias "Wu tang Clan" and everyone scratched their heads. Almost everyone was like "What the heck is Wu tang? It dosn't make sence!". We even tryed to sub the word "tang" since diffrent tones mean diffrent things, but even then it was still screwed up.
smile.gif
Even after he tryed to explain the group, and all the "Supposed" Shaolin history from the name (A history lesson about Chinese to a room full of Chinese people!? ), we were all still scratching our heads. We were trying so hard to be polite and not laugh him out of the room, but I don't know where people get these ideas.
smile.gif

Its just like the idea Fortune Cookies are Chinese, and going to Chinese take out is Chinese Food. Chinese take out is westernized food, and the only people who eat it is western people. All the Chinese people goto real chinese restraunts, and most would say no good chinese food is take-out chinese food
smile.gif
Thats something thats imposible LOL! Some of those take out food places is just awfull! Fried Chicken balls, in a soup of red sause. Yuck!
smile.gif

Uh ya, westernized chinese take out is god awfull! Even the best real Chinese restraunts in north amarica don't compare to the authentic stuff.

On the other hand do you know whats funny?
smile.gif
All of these made up westernized chinese foods varients.... Like Chicken balls, General Tao's/General Chang's Chicken, ect.

Who the heck comes up with these names!?!

Originally posted by ExCyber@April 23 2002,13:18

What does a multiregion player have to do with the ability to upgrade codecs?

Nothing. If you read my post again, you'll realize I never said they were related.

My point was buying a PC DVD drive allows for region protection removal and upgradability for new codecs, where if you buy an actual machine, you're pretty much stuck with what you get...

Ex: I buy a DVD player a few years ago before DTS became somewhat of a standard feature, if I want the DTS I'm looking at buying a new model.

I have a few PC DVD drives, where if I want to enable DD/DTS, I just buy for the software, which is significantly cheaper. And the region removal is free.

I have some US DVDs that I *bought* in the US that still give me region problems, so I'm all about removing the protection.

Originally posted by archiver+April 24 2002,19:36--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(archiver @ April 24 2002,19:36)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ExCyber@April 23 2002,13:18

What does a multiregion player have to do with the ability to upgrade codecs?

My point was buying a PC DVD drive allows for region protection removal and upgradability for new codecs, where if you buy an actual machine, you're pretty much stuck with what you get...[/b][/quote]

...unless you buy an Apex/Hiteker.

*hugs his region free, macrovision removed Apex 660*

Nothing. If you read my post again, you'll realize I never said they were related.

I wasn't responding to your post, but to this bit from soldermonkey:

Why dont you just ask the sales rep for a multi region DVD player? their eyes usually light up and tell you where to get them

Back