Playing Game Gear on Genesis

We have a simple convertor to play gameboy games on the SNES. Today, I came across a program that suppossedly converts Game Gear roms to Genesis format. In theory, you could play a Game Gear rom on a Genesis emulator.

I have not yet tested it because I cannot find a SINGLE game gear rom (in MGD2 format as required) on the net. So I have formed a hypothesis without the ability to check it. I figure a Game Gear is pretty much a Sega Master System. And SMS carts can be used on a Genesis. Right?

So here is my plan. I have a Multi Game Hunter. I want to convert a Game Gear rom to a Genesis rom and from there play it on my real Genesis. I don't see why it wouldn't work. So here in my question: Has anyone ever done this successfully?

I know Arakon has the ability to put SMS roms onto cart and play them. Wouldn't this also work with the Genesis? The program is called "TG-GG2MD". Anyone use it?

let me straiten a few things.

the Super Game Boy device consists of the major chips of a game boy, in a cartridge interface. the Game boy uses a z80 processor, he Snes has a 65c816 processor. incompatible with each other.

snes is only used for controllers, and video and sound.

the Power Base converter on the other hand, takes advantage of the Genesis's similarity to the Sega Master System. so similar, it practically is a SMS when used with the PBC.

just reroutes a few pins to get to the right place in the genesis's architechture.

I'll let other, more knowledgable people, speak of the technical differences between the Master System and Game Gear, though I will point out that a device exists to play Master System games on a Game Gear called a Master Gear, but i'm not sure about the other way around.

i dont remember where, but i have seen pics of a power base converter torn apat, and the pins on a GG cart connetced to the contacts with wire, and the games did run. they had a funny looking color pallete, but they were running.

For all intents and purposes the gg is identical to a sms. The only significant difference is in the size of the color palete. The sms can show 16 out of a possible 256 colors while the gg can show 64 out of a possible 1024 colors on screen. Additionally the gg has smaller screen resolution than the sms. (gg - 240x160 sms - 320x240ish I think)

While the gg and genesis both can run sms games just fine. Only the gg can run gg games without serious problems. Some simple games MAY run on a genesis or sms but with severe palette problems and may crash shortly after booting.

but there is a program called "game gear to mega drive" (a DOS program named "TT-GG2MD.COM").

It has not worked for me, but it is on several sites. So someone must have tested it. It converts Game Gear games to run on any Genesis emulator. So, it should be possible. Anyone know about this program or had success making it work?

Even if it's on some sites, I really doubt anyone has bothered to try it, because the only point would be for flash carts, right? And hardly anyone has those.

that tool simply doesn't work. I tried loads of games, lots of emus, no go.

now for GG games on genny via the SMS converter, it DOES work with palette errors, and not all games. I have a SMS eprom cart onto which I can also put GG roms.

Even if you *CUOULD* do this successfully, there's not really much point. I don't know of any Game Gear games tat ACTUALLY are good enough to go through all this effort, correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you're wrong, because if someone is trying to do it, possibly it's because he is interested on doing so. So if he has a point for doing it, why he can't ask?

If you can't give useful answers to him why you have to put in doubt the interest on what he is working on? Isn't easier to simply ignore this thread? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally posted by Devil Ken Masters@Jan. 22 2003, 5:55 pm

I think you're wrong, because if someone is trying to do it, possibly it's because he is interested on doing so. So if he has a point for doing it, why he can't ask?

If you can't give useful answers to him why you have to put in doubt the interest on what he is working on? Isn't easier to simply ignore this thread? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Man's got a point. I get a little peeved as well when people let loose erroneous comments when I ask a question. Show some love, people.

I'm sorry about that last comment. Here:

I myself, don't see a point in putting that much effort to play GG games on the Genesis.

There is a man who has no love for his sega! :
wink.gif
:

If you really want to know, I was trying to play Bust-a-move on a television screen. I have an arcade cabinet with a genesis hooked up inside. And there is no puzzle bobble equivenlent for the genesis/mega drive.

Here's my plan. I put a multi game hunter on the genesis. I have success playing genesis roms from 3.5 inch disks via this machine. Now, I wanted to try my hand at playing the game gear rom on it.

And for me, there are always experiments worthy of doing just for the sake of experiment. :
wink.gif
:

Originally posted by BTails@Jan. 22 2003, 2:50 am

I'm sorry about that last comment. Here:

I myself, don't see a point in putting that much effort to play GG games on the Genesis.

You have no idea how many really good games there are for the Game Gear. I myself was shocked, because I thought I wasted my money on a GG (When I could've saved that money for a GBA). Tails Adventure (Jap) is one of those. Arena: Maze of Death is another.

Jeff-20, if you have an success, please let me know.
biggrin.gif

Back