playing gg on a sms

Looks complicated, but most likely fake none the less. Those games were released for SMS in Brazil, perhaps in other places too. As I understand it, the GG and SMS may have used the same type of data for the games (hence the ROMS being playable on the same emus without any special work), but the GG had more colors in the video output than the SMS. The SMS should not be able to handle the video output of the GG games (but the GG can handle the video output of a SMS game, hence the commonality of those adapters).

Thinking about it, if color output was the issue why a MS cannot play a GG game, but they did make an adapter to play MS games on MD/Genesis, why not an adapter to play GG games on MD/Genesis???

Like I said, it looks complicated. The more I think about it, the more complicated I think it is. Look at where the cartridge is plugged in. This "adapter" does not plug into the cartridge slot, it is attached to the back of the console. I suspect this guy may have done some work to wire the GG's hardware into the MS system, wiring the sound and video as well as the controls through the MS console, but using a GG's hardware to run the actual game. I have seen mods that let someone play their GG on a TV.

But, hey, I could be wrong.

The videos are real (they are from SMS Power! afaik). Game Gear games will play on the SMS, except for the Start button doesn't work, stereo sound doesn't work, the palette is wrong, and accessing some Game Gear features will trigger SMS-specific ones that result in a crash or lockup.

So it's possible to do, just not practical. You can try this yourself using a SMS flashcart loaded with a Game Gear game. Some GG games have been hacked to work on the SMS by Chris Covell:

http://www.disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/segahacking/gg2sms.html

VertigoXX said:
Thinking about it, if color output was the issue why a MS cannot play a GG game, but they did make an adapter to play MS games on MD/Genesis, why not an adapter to play GG games on MD/Genesis???

The improved color palette of the Genesis is disabled when the system runs in an SMS-compatible display mode, you are limited to the SMS palette at all times. Also if you really want to nitpick, the GG shows more colors than the Genesis though it looks like less due to the LCD screen.

Back