Playing VCDs in my DC

Quote: from Curtis on 9:37 pm on Feb. 3, 2002

Bah - forget VCD, 'coz Divx is here. I've been breifly trying the alpha versions of the dcDivx player and things are looking good (so far). Go to www.dcemulation.com or www.dcvision.com for the downloads.

Wow, that sounds sweet. I'm going to wait for it to mature a bit though.

I also wonder how fast it decompresses. In theory, if you used the PVR to it's full power, you could probably play DivX videos at a really high framerate; the chip has many MPEG video-friendly capabilities.

Quote: from MasterAkumaMatata on 2:01 pm on Feb. 4, 2002

Curious, how many FPS are you getting (so far)?

Well, with a 350-400k (at 320x180) clip, with 22k, 56kbs stereo mp3 audio, it was having no problem at all with 24 fps. The author claims it runs an 800k clip with 44k mono sound with few problems.

The only real disadvantage it the resolution - it's limitied to 496x496 because the player is derived from the PocketDivx project.

Still, that's 2-3 movies per disc :)

Well, the player is only supposed to support Divx 4.xx. Preliminary support for 3.11 is there (in Alpha 0.3) but I haven't tried it yet. Re-encode your vids using the latest Divx (4.12, I think) and use only an MP3 codec for audio.

playstation's vcd cards work fine, ive used them, and the saturn vcd player (not gypplay) is absoluely worthless, it wont even keep the audio in sync. although what i would recomend is getting a cheap dvd player (They are the BEST) because that would play vcds, plus mpeg files straight off a disk, and mp3s, as well as dvds, and prolly wouldnt cost much more than a saturn/psx vcd card.

Back