Port to dc

Would any of the developers or programers care to offer an opinion as to whether it would be possible to port NeoRagex to the DC?

I have about 50 games that I would love to play on my dc. I came across them recently in a yard/garage sale and bought the lot for $50. They are neogeo cd games and would have no problem ripping them. I have no Neogeo system as yet, but would love to play them on the dc. So would a port to dc be possible?

While cartrigde Neogeo emulation on DC would have serious problems due the limited RAM, the DC has pretty more RAM than a Neogeo CD (DC= 16MB+8MB Video, Neogeo CD = 7MB), so it might end up being very, very possible.

I think soemone would have to make vast improvements to Neorage to make it even worthwhile.. I think they'd be better off working with the MAME source code as far as the Neo Geo cart games are concerned. Obviously the Neo CD is another matter.. It would be nice though
smile.gif

mamed dc currently runs windjammers (i think that's the title, anyway, that STUPID death frisbee game)

if i'm not mistaken it runs it very slowly and w/out sound

so while it might be possible for the dc to do decent neogeo emultation i wouldn't hold my breath if i were you

It would be impossible for the DC to emulate most of the NeoGeo games, due to the memory limitations of the system. This question gets asked all the time over at DcEmulation, except it is cunningly disguised as a request for N64 emulation.

The reasoning is the same, however. You do not have enough RAM to run both the application and game, there is no way to "spool" a game from CD and compressing the ROM is useless, as it still needs to be decompressed somewhere to be used.

EDIT: oops - I just answered the wrong question. NeoGeo CD emulation may be possible, but I'll bet there is a very good reason as to why no one has done it yet...

NeoRAGE X can not be ported to DC as such because it contains 80x86-specific code (Starscream at least, and probably other things as well).

there is no way to "spool" a game from CD

This is not true. However, it's not trivial to do so and depending on the ROM access patterns of the games it may slow down the emulation too much for it to be playable.

I'll bet there is a very good reason as to why no one has done it yet...

I think the only real reason is that there's nobody with the time, skill, and inclination to do it. The MVS/AES pretty much draws everyone's attention away from the CD system, and with good reason. I seriously doubt that there's any huge technical barrier preventing NGCD emulation.

Originally posted by ExCyber@June 21 2002,13:30

NeoRAGE X can not be ported to DC as such because it contains 80x86-specific code (Starscream at least, and probably other things as well).

that's why it hasn't even been ported to any other platforms other than Windows. (I believe)

Back