possible boot disc

I already asked this on the Tototek forum, but does anyone know how the CD Key/Pro-CDX work? Do they just use software (in which case it might be possible to do something similar on a boot disk) or do they have special hardware?

The CDX have certainely a hardware mecanism to put the genny in segacd mode after it have read the rom.

Because, the genny with a cdx seems to boot directly on the cartrige (and not in the bios).

I opened mine and there are 2 chip inside... I wasn't able to determine which type there are (because, the names are strongly erased).

You should look at the GENESIS PROGRAMMING FAQ V6 (from CMD), i think they speak about it.

Bye

Fonzie

From what I've heard, they use special hardware to essentially patch the BIOS as it is being read by the CPU.

I recently hit a bit of a snag. It would seem that either the BIOS or maybe even the CD controller itself fails to reread the TOC after a disc swap. If you try to read from a block address beyond the range of data on the first CD, the read will fail even if its a valid address for the CD you have just inserted. It could be a little while before I figure out how to get it to reread the TOC.

Reading the TOC? A piece of cake, lol.

(Just remember me the next time w'll meet, MOD)

Back