Problem with burning.....

I used to be able to burn at 8x with my burner (Keep in mind I bought it separately and it is a HP CD-Writer Plus 9100). Music, games, etc., I could burn it at 8x. Now, suddenly, I can't burn anything higher than 4x. I don't know why. I tried re-installing my software but that didn't change anything. Is there anything I can do? When using MP3 CD Burner, this was the error message I received:

"The CD writer needs a continuous stream of data during a burn from the computer. Your computer was not able to fill the data quickly enough which resultied in an unusable CD.

Try doing a test burn before burning again.

Make sure to not use any other programs at the same time. Disable screen savers, virus checkers or any other program that may start up during the cd burning process.

Try lowering the burn speed or checking "convert to wav first" option."

I closed all backround programs, tried testing first, and tried wavs but it still won't let me burn passed 4x. Please Help, Thanks.

It sure is worth it. Think about it.

The more fragmented your HD is, the more time the drive needs to seek, rather than just read. This leads to a slower rate of data transfer.

Originally posted by mal@May 29 2002,16:01

It sure is worth it. Think about it.

The more fragmented your HD is, the more time the drive needs to seek, rather than just read. This leads to a slower rate of data transfer.

After running the defragmenter, I am still failing the test burns at 8x. Any other ideas?

if the burner is on the same IDE string as the HD you are burning from, try putting it on the other IDE string.

Originally posted by Arakon@May 30 2002,12:26

if the burner is on the same IDE string as the HD you are burning from, try putting it on the other IDE string.

I don't know what you are talking about. Could you take me through that process?

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@May 30 2002,12:04

Sound's like your unit is dying, time for a new burner.

If it is dying, that is $400 down the damn drain. Got to look for that warrantee......

Originally posted by Arakon@May 30 2002,14:07

open the case, see if the burner is connected with the same cable that is also connected to your HD.

NERO TO THE RESUE!!!

HAHAHAHAH!

I uninstalled all of my HP burning software and that crappy easy cd creater with it.

I then installed nero.

I successfully burned at 8x with NERO!!!!

Whether the problem be the easy cd creater or the hp software, it doesn't matter. Everything is working ok now. It is better this way anyway. Easy cd creator could not burn MP3's. So i had to have MP3 burner for mp3's, easy cd for other stuff, and cdrwin for games. Now, with nero, I just need nero and cdrwin. Easy cd sucked anyway. I will still burn games at 4x to secure success, but I shouldn't have to burn music that slow. And now I don't have to, thanks to nero! And, I only 2 programs because nero has got it all! If nero burned cue/bins i wouldn't even need cdrwin. But cdrwin is so small that i'm cool with it.

Thanks for your responses, guys.

Nero rocks!!!

Heh, your story reminded me of my brother's HP burner and the crappy Easy CD Creator software that came with it. He had the same type of problem as you had, but he had a PII400/64. I uninstalled all his HP software and installed just Nero for burning stuff; it was more stable after that. This happened back over 2 years ago, back when HDDs were slow and a slight change in application activity would result in a coaster, even the activation of a blank-screen screen saver.
sad.gif

Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata@May 30 2002,15:25

Heh, your story reminded me of my brother's HP burner and the crappy Easy CD Creator software that came with it. He had the same type of problem as you had, but he had a PII400/64. I uninstalled all his HP software and installed just Nero for burning stuff; it was more stable after that. This happened back over 2 years ago, back when HDDs were slow and a slight change in application activity would result in a coaster, even the activation of a blank-screen screen saver.
sad.gif

That's pretty cool. Atleast I know it isn't just me;) What is it with the software HP provides? I always thought their hardware was top-notch(and still do), but the software they provided sucked. Someone needs to let them know to brake off from Easy CD Creator and that bundle-of-crap software they made.

Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata@May 31 2002,08:25

This happened back over 2 years ago, back when HDDs were slow and a slight change in application activity would result in a coaster, even the activation of a blank-screen screen saver.
sad.gif

What do you mean 'back when'?

That sounds like my PC.
wink.gif

Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata@May 30 2002,15:25

sad.gif

Also:

My printer has been messed up for a while. I had to click print, turn off the printer, then turn it back on to get it to work. Since the uninstallation of the burner software, the printer works normally! That damn software was really corrupting my HP hardware.

Back