Problem with some games using swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a big fan of the SegaCD since Gens did such a great job emulating it, and have been having a lot of fun playing around with some of the great old titles (as well as some not-so-great ones--Star Wars Chess? Gack...) for the first time. With all the fun I was haivng with the SegaCD, I thought maybe I should check out the Saturn stuff out there as well. Since my brother-in-law had an old Saturn he never plays anymore, I asked if I could borrow it. Sure enough, it was a model 1, so the swap method I've read about can be done quite simply. Also, converting games of other regions to work on a US machine was no problem either, since Satconv is so easy to use.

HOWEVER... I've been having a bit of a problem getting some (over half, actually) of the games to work correctly. Many times, the intro movies will start, and even the main menu will come up. However, once I try to start the game, the CD will spin and sound like it's trying to unsuccessfully find a track on the CD (Dragonball Z 2, Panzer Dragoon Zwei are examples). Other times, the Sega logo will come up, only to be followed by a black screen and nothing else. (Dracula X, Megaman X are examples) And finally, some games will start out, but only get partly into the gameplay (Sonic Jam) before quitting out on me.

My question is--is this simply a limitation of the swap method? I.e. Do some games try to read the security track on Saturn CDs at times -other- than startup? Or is it possible that I'm not burning some CDs correctly while whatever I'm doing works fine on other games. So far, I've gotten House of the Dead, Cotton Boomerang, Nights, and Strikers 1945 II to work correctly with no problems using swap.

For reference information, I have a Mitsumi 24/10/40 burner, and I'm using Maxell 650MB CDRs. (I read that the type of CDs you use can make a difference?)

Sorry if this is a redundant question, but after looking back several pages in the forum, I didn't see anyone with exactly the same problem as me.

Thanks much in advance for any tips or info, guys!

are you using a single or double swap? single swap WILL fuck up sometime in the game.

also, try different blanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back