Problems Installing GCC-SGL on XP

I have been following Takeshi's tutorial...but when I arrive to the part where you type gcc to see if all the environment you set is working, the command prompt shows me:

C:\dev\SATURN>gcc

Stack Fault at eip=5090

eax=00000301 ebx=00006186 ecx=00000000 edx=0000ffff esi=00000582 edi=0000ae8f

ebp=0000ff9a esp=00414980 cs=19f ds=17f es=17f fs=0 gs=0 ss=1b7 cr2=00004fd8

Call frame traceback EIPs:

0x00005090

0xffba0001

Any ideas on what's happening ? Thanks.

The old gcc compiler works only with Windows 9x/Me. If you're using XP/2000 you'll need to use the GNUSH install you can get from here (free registation needed, and it's manually verified, so it's not instant):

http://www.kpit.com/products/support.htm

After having the package (at this moment the GNUSH v0303 Tool Chain for COFF format), you can install it and configure it as the sticky topic on this forum says to have a functional SGL compile target.

The old compiler works on W2K (on my computer at least), but I've heard several reports of some DOS extenders not working under XP. SNASMSH2 is one of the programs that seems to have this problem.

Originally posted by antime@Sep 22, 2003 @ 09:34 PM

The old compiler works on W2K (on my computer at least), but I've heard several reports of some DOS extenders not working under XP. SNASMSH2 is one of the programs that seems to have this problem.

I believe the version at Charles MacDonald's site doesn't have this problem.

I was in fact, able to use the old compiler for a while under XP. Eventually I either upgraded, downloaded a new version or went to NTFS, and the compiler stopped working in the same descript way shinhoshi said, forcing me to fetch the kpit one.

Either way, it's kind of pointless to use a compiler that old when there are newer, better ones available.

Well, I don't have intentions of making a full game. I just want to code some kind of demos for my personal enjoyment, nothing more.

Back