Problems with a modboard...

Well, I've ordered a modboard and a 4in1 cart from gamegizmo...

The EMS cart didn't run newer 4MB Capcom games, so I did the mod, and it works great now!!
smile.gif

Now, the modboard is acting kinda strange, I used Mal's A+B method and it worked but... sometimes it just doesn't work...

When it doesn't work I get various problems:

1 - Spins up the cds and goes to the cd-player and "detects" cds as being audio-cds, even originals...

2 - Spins up the cds and attemps to read the security ring... And moreover when I insert an original cd, it doesn't validate it though it reads the protection ring...

Now, my first though is something is not well connected, so I started measuring voltage levels, the 5V reach the board, so I don't think this is the prob...

Also A and B points have the same voltage as the 14th pin in the cd unit (my saturn is a Model2 21pin with the 32pin cd-rom chip)...

I've re-soldered the 0014...

What else can I try???

It worked this morning, then when I came back from lunch it wasn't working... I reviewed everything and was able to "repair" it... (without knowing what was causing it...) then after playing a bit, I turned it off, and when I came back it wasn't working again... but now I can't seem to "repair" it...

The best I can recommend is to resolder any connections you have made and try reseating the mod board and ribbon cables.

It sounds like something isn't always making a good connection, hence the intermittant problem.

Just what was it that you did to 'repair' it?

humm, that "repair" wasn't anything special I just verified all cables re-connected and it worked...

I'm thinking the mod board is dead... I've already reconnected and resoldered everything...

Is there any electronically way to find out if the board has died? (e.g. checking the voltage level in some pin??)

Just tried switching from 0014 to 0019 and it's the same... even without any solder bridge at all...

Only a audio tracks are played...

unfortunately I think you're right...

I've already sent an email to gamegizmo explaining the situation (sort of), as they say they're products have life time warranty...

Let's hope they help me...

are you booting the system with the lid closed all the time?

i know some of the mods for an unknown reason wont work if you have the lid open when its switched on (its fine to open it afterwards though)

Yes I know that, I've tried both ways... It just doesn't sends the OK status to the mainboard... therefore all cds are recognized as audio-cds...

thanks anyway....

???

well... I just said to myself "f*ck it..." and ordered 3 modboards today from gamegizmo.... 1 of those is free...

in 3 modboards it's easier to find 1 that works
tongue.gif

*humming* hmm...I wonder if somebody who ordered a bunch of mod boards is the reason why MINE WASN'T SENT TO ME!! Sorry...I'm just really pissed off because I've been waiting for it for a long time, and GameGizmo doesn't seem to have my order all figured out yet.

tongue.gif

Humm... I've recieved an email from them today... they told me I needed to call over there... as my order needed voice confirmation... huh?? WTH?!!?

I just replied to them asking to which order are they refering to... the replacement of the first *faulty*/killed modboard, or the newer order...

That's weird. ??? Well, I'll also be calling tomorrow morning before I go to school, I'm on the west coast, and I'll be asking where MY stuff is.

I'm just edgy because the AR4M+ that I got was either old and buggy/faulty or just broken (I've pieced together from the facts on this board).

Hope you get your mod board stuff worked out.
biggrin.gif

Back