Program to sort files into dirs

Hello, and good morning :) I am spring cleaning. Not sure that this is the best question to ask here, but it seemed to go better here than in the General section. My question is:

Anyone know of a program to sort files into dirs by a specified target size (such as for burning to CD)?

Example: Say I have ~70GB of files, and I want to put them into groups (or folders) as close to 700MB as possible, for backing up to CDR and getting the most space I can

I can do it myself, but if there's a program that'll save me the time, of course I'd use it
wink.gif

I know that Winrar can create multivolumes on a specific size, but I'm not comfortable with spanning so much data (dependently) over multiple discs.

This is an unusual question, I know. Thanks for reading!

Originally posted by archiver+April 21 2002,05:50--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(archiver @ April 21 2002,05:50)</div><div class='quotemain'>Anyone know of a program to sort files into dirs by a specified target size (such as for burning to CD)?[/b]

AFAIK, there is no such program.

<!--QuoteBegin-archiver
@April 21 2002,05:50

I know that Winrar can create multivolumes on a specific size, but I'm not comfortable with spanning so much data (dependently) over multiple discs.[/quote]

If most of your files are RAR archives, you will have to sort them manually anyway.

That's what I was afraid of. Ah well, I've done far more boring work.

What I've done is taken all my audio CDs and made LAME mp3s from them - I'm building a barebones Pentium DOS box that will be set up for nothing other than to play MP3s on startup.

I'm actually not using rar for these, though rar was the first thing that came to mind with my question. I'm just zipping them in store format to preserve the filenames/playlist integrity.

Thanks for the replies fellas, I appreciate it.

Back