Ps2 16:9 hdtv and component cable

Xavier

Mid Boss
Somebody has asked asked about this on this board or another so ill post what ive found .

The fullscreen , 4:3 and 16:9 only appear to have any thing to do the way the menu screen appear while browsing and maybe during movies .

A playstation will not output a true 16:9 signal out of the box , like xbox , some games hav options for 16:9 what this will do is compress the graphics so they wont appear as distorted when stretched out .

So since the ps2 wont even output a true 16:9 im pretty sure it offers no progresive scan or any kind of true hd capabilities . In fact ive seen some forums that list dreamcast gamecube and xbox hdtv game capatibility list but havent seen anything for playstation 2 .

So in short a component cable for a ps2 is pretty worthless , the only way it might have some sort of redeeming qualities is if you have a low end 4:3 hdtv set .

Originally posted by Xavier@Sep 9, 2004 @ 02:11 PM

So in short a component cable for a ps2 is pretty worthless , the only way it might have some sort of redeeming qualities is if you have a low end 4:3 hdtv set .

i agree to a point. there isa pretty substantial difference in the way games look when going from composite to component. i remember beyond good and evil and prince of persia being like night and day.

Actually the Ps2 can do both 16:9 and progressive scan although it is limited.The 16:9 support can be enabled in the dashboard but I don't have a 16:9 tv so i am not sure if it works correctly in all games.As for progressive scan their are only a handful of games that support it(tekken 4 is the only one I can think of right now) .Also their is a VGA adapter created by Blaze which is based around this and is really only a cable with a disc that tries to force non-progressive scan games to run in 480p...with generally bad results.Hopefully their will eventually be a homebrew solution that does better then the blaze disc.

A playstation will not output a true 16:9 signal out of the box , like xbox , some games hav options for 16:9 what this will do is compress the graphics so they wont appear as distorted when stretched out .

How is this not a "true 16:9 signal"?

Originally posted by ExCyber@Sep 22, 2004 @ 08:06 AM

How is this not a "true 16:9 signal"?

A true 16x9 signal has a special flag in it that will cause widescreen tv's and good 4x3 projection tv's to resize the image properly by themselves. This results in better vertical resolution and a widescreen image. The fake 16x9 signal forces the user to switch their tv manually, assuming that's possible. There were several DC games that did this as well.

Originally posted by Darklegion@Sep 22, 2004 @ 01:17 AM

Actually the Ps2 can do both 16:9 and progressive scan although it is limited.The 16:9 support can be enabled in the dashboard but I don't have a 16:9 tv so i am not sure if it works correctly in all games.

I do and it doesnt work for any games ... that I have

all this option does is make the menu look 16:9ish like I said earlier .

Originally posted by gameboy900@Sep 23, 2004 @ 12:50 AM

A true 16x9 signal has a special flag in it that will cause widescreen tv's and good 4x3 projection tv's to resize the image properly by themselves. This results in better vertical resolution and a widescreen image. The fake 16x9 signal forces the user to switch their tv manually, assuming that's possible. There were several DC games that did this as well.

yup what he said .

So if it doesn't implement WSS the signal is "fake"? Isn't the only difference the automatic switching?

The automatic switching is a bonus really. It's really more of a way of identifying what the signal is and what to do with it. It's like having your TV automatically switch between progressive and interlaced depending on the signal.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Sep 23, 2004 @ 05:25 PM

So if it doesn't implement WSS the signal is "fake"? Isn't the only difference the automatic switching?

Again the difference is much better signal quality .

Try watching a movie in 16:9 the flip the disk over and to 4:3 and stretch that maybe then youll see what im talking about , in a way .

Back