PSP or This

Get the PSP..

Even though I love my Nomad... eating 6 brand new AA batteries in 30min. isn't fun... plus if you are looking for portable it's nice having the small sleek PSP, not carrying a brick around like the Nomad...

The sega nomad was a nice thing back in the day, but I think you'd find the screen to be quite horrid by today's standards. It has a terrible refresh so there's ghosting galore and a terrible viewing angle. There is a burgeoning homebrew movement with the PSP, and just recently someone created a gameboy emulator for the system! (only with v 1.0 jap edition though). So if you get a PSP, chances are sometime down the line a genesis emulator will appear for the system and you'll have the best of both worlds.

Originally posted by tsumake@Tue, 2005-05-10 @ 09:21 AM

The sega nomad was a nice thing back in the day, but I think you'd find the screen to be quite horrid by today's standards. It has a terrible refresh so there's ghosting galore and a terrible viewing angle. There is a burgeoning homebrew movement with the PSP, and just recently someone created a gameboy emulator for the system! (only with v 1.0 jap edition though). So if you get a PSP, chances are sometime down the line a genesis emulator will appear for the system and you'll have the best of both worlds.

[post=133868]Quoted post[/post]​

is it really THAT bad?

i hate emulators by the way :p

is there a video somewhere of nomad in action?

*playing virtua racing on it is what excites me the most!!!*

Hmm, I was under the impression that Virtua Racing didn't work on it or the Majesco Genesis 3 for some reason.

I've heard reports that it does work on the Nomad (although it probably eats batteries more than other games since it has an on-cart processor and DRAM). IIRC, someone got it working on "Genesis 3" by simply connecting a signal that was left unconnected (probably the one that goes to cart pin B21).

okay another question guys...how rare are brand new mega drive model 1 systems these days? i have this guy whos willing to sell me one (he in japan) for 80 bucks...should i take it? BRAND NEW MODEL ONE JAPANESE MEGA DRIVE.

i'm on aim with him right now.....should i buy that from him? brand new 80 bucks...box is brand new...no shelfware no shit

c'mon guys what do you all think!

Attachments

• md_console_new2.jpg
    md_console_new2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 96
  • md_console_new2.jpg
    md_console_new2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 98
Get the Nomad, it's not often that you find one boxed like that. You can always use a battery pack or an ac adapter with it. But if you REALLY like racing games and mediocre sports titles get the PSP. Lumines may be enough to justify the purchase of a PSP also--but I'd never pay more than $150 for a PSP.

As far as the Mega Drive I've never seen one being sold before, especially in such good condition, so I don't know if that is a good deal or not. But if I were you, I'd probably buy it because it would be cool to have as a collector.

I didn't even have to see what you were talking about in order to vote "This".

Now that I know it's a Nomad. You have to be out of your mind to get Sony's crap portable over the Nomad.

Get both the Nomad and the MegaDrive.

Originally posted by GAMESOULjA@Tue, 2005-05-10 @ 07:09 PM

now will a jap mega drive play us/uk games? or will i have to modify it to do that...?

[post=133884]Quoted post[/post]​

That will require modification, or a converter catridge. I don't recommend either, I'd just buy the console for the games you want to play. A USA/Canada Genesis can be had very cheaply, and UK Mega Drives aren't too expensive either.

I've been having a blast with my psp. First I had trouble putting down lumines, now I'm having trouble putting down metal gear acid. Amazon finally got more 1 gig memory sticks in stock so I'll be able to read manga on my psp soon also =P

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Tue, 2005-05-10 @ 10:16 PM

...so I'll be able to read manga on my psp soon also =P

[post=133895]Quoted post[/post]​

That's a pretty cool idea, but it would be even better if PSP supported .CBZ/.CBR files. I could finish reading the Berzerk series at school, I stopped reading that at Volume 15 sometime last year I believe.

k guys, a couple of questions concerning that mega drive.

I know that this system outputs mono audio and the cable is different.

what will attaching a 33x to it do? will it then output stereo sound and i will be able to use regular genesis 2 cable with it?

will 32x (US) even work with this japanese model?

another thing,

if say i buy a pal mega drive 2,will i also need a stepdown converter or can i just use my genesis 120v power adapter?

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Tue, 2005-05-10 @ 06:04 PM

I didn't even have to see what you were talking about in order to vote "This".

Now that I know it's a Nomad. You have to be out of your mind to get Sony's crap portable over the Nomad.

Get both the Nomad and the MegaDrive.

[post=133882]Quoted post[/post]​

Unless you're a die hard collector that enjoys keeping everything pristine, do not listen to this post.. A Nomad for $250+17 shipping (or buy it now $275+17 shipping) is not a good deal. This system is not a portable... it's a novelty... it's half the size of a cinder block and battery life shouldn't even be an option for the unit. Even with the recharable battery you are forced to charge it so often that you have to take a huge Genesis II power supply around with you. That's HUGE nomad + weight of 6 AA batteries with another boxed piece of plastic that snaps onto the Nomad + heavy wall-wart style power adapter.

Get the PSP. or evaluate how much you plan on using the thing and consider maybe a GBA SP and either saving the rest of your money, or investing in many great GBA games...

Just my 2 cents...

This system is not a portable... it's a novelty...

Still reason enough to get one over a PSP if you ask me. :p

I didn't even look at the auction though. $250 for a Nomad?! That's insane. Even for a boxed one, that's still $100 too much.

Perhaps I should've checked out the auction before I rambled on like that. :p

Back