R-Type

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
This was one of the first shooters I ever played and one of my favorites for the SMS.  If you never have played this I suggest you pick up a copy on ebay quick!

It's very difficult, but good. I can usually get to level three without losing a life, but I think I've only got to level four once.

Excellent game with some great tunes. I liekd the Arcade version better than the sms. Though the sms was good to play on the master gear converter on the game gear in the back of shop class back in the day
smile.gif

this game was awsome -- i thought it was just like the arcade -- back in the day but then noticed the sprite and music diference and became disapointed but i still thought it kicked ass -- i kept traveling (30 min one way ) to rent this game over and over -- there was only one video store i found in CT that rented mastersystem games

but now i finaly own it - but its a little hard to see on the game gear

i thought this port was great untill i saw the TG16 version - and became disapointed again

Awesome game, a great port considering it was on an 8bit system, and as googlefest mentioned the tg version was better, but again a 16 bit system. I played this game too back in the day, but never owned my very own copy, until recently I got one on ebay, woo - hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT GAME!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------sega!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by IceMan2k@Feb 4, 2003 @ 04:16 AM

This was one of the first shooters I ever played and one of my favorites for the SMS. If you never have played this I suggest you pick up a copy on ebay quick!

dont listen to sizone!!!! THIS GAME IS GREAT! those who may know me from back b4 know i love shmups and this is one of my favs! too bad now that ive played the arcade version, i can see how much was sacrificed in the port, including difficulty. As for the true shooter fans like myself, rumors have it there is a entrance to a hidden lvl in stage 4. i have yet to find it. read the review at http://www.shmups.com/ to see what i mean.

unplayable, pfft.

Originally posted by stack99@Feb 20, 2003 @ 03:14 PM

googlefest mentioned the tg version was better, but again a 16 bit system.

TG16 was in fact not a 16 bit system. this is always argued throughout the net. the tg16 was just a suped up 8 bitter with better graphics and sound. it still ran off an 8 bit processor. 16 bit graphics.

R-Type was my first shoot-them up on SMS and it was soo good. It is one of the best shmup ever made. There is no better shmup on SMS in any domains (playability, graphics,...), maybe Xenon 2 had better graphics but it was hardly playable. I still play at RType some days and tried above all versions : TG16, Super CD-ROM, PC, ... This game has introduced I think many features of shmups like the additionnal module or multidirectionnal fire, it will stay forever in my best shooters list.

Originally posted by Ratamahatta+Feb 24, 2003 @ 04:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ratamahatta @ Feb 24, 2003 @ 04:13 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-stack99@Feb 20, 2003 @ 03:14 PM

googlefest mentioned the tg version was better, but again a 16 bit system.

TG16 was in fact not a 16 bit system. this is always argued throughout the net. the tg16 was just a suped up 8 bitter with better graphics and sound. it still ran off an 8 bit processor. 16 bit graphics. [/b][/quote]

The "bitness" of the TG16 is a tough one. If you want to get technical the 68K is a 32-bit processor (even though it has a 16-bit bus) yet it is considered a 16-bit system. The Dreamcast has only a 32-bit processor and it's considered to be a 128 or 256 (can't remember which) bit system. Clearly, the processor isn't the only consideration.

Ahhh R-Type. What a classic game. I've spent many hours playing this one; it practically spawned a subclass of shooters all on its own (the strategic 'memorization' shooter). I have to agree that the SMS conversion isn't the best though.

vbt: Xenon 2 was released on the SMS? Whoa! I remember playing the CDTV version on my good 'ol A500: not the best game, but it sure had a cool soundtrack. It _was_ a lot more playable than Xenon 1 though, that's for sure.

Originally posted by it290@Nov 5, 2003 @ 07:45 AM

vbt: Xenon 2 was released on the SMS? Whoa! I remember playing the CDTV version on my good 'ol A500: not the best game, but it sure had a cool soundtrack. It _was_ a lot more playable than Xenon 1 though, that's for sure.

Yes it was released at least in Europe by Virgin. There was two release, the first (the one I bought) with slowdown and specific playability. The spaceship moves really fast to go right/left and really slow to go up/down. It was re-released some months after with less slowdowns. A little pb on SMS version, there was no ending, when you have beaten all levels it continues to the first one. I managed to finish it 9 times with the same credit and then stoppped :D .

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrr :blink:

Rtype---- :drool:

My favoutite game of all time.

I can remember when it came out in the arcades and it was such a revelation to watch and play.

The sheer attention to detail and imagery have in my honest opionion never been equeled.

I liked it so much i bought the arcade pcb.

I also have it on the PC engine which is fed through a jammma interface on a 21" arcade machine.

There is a great IREM website that covers rtype etc.

I would really like to find out more about the programmers and there concepts at the time of its release but have had no luck yet.

Every part of every level is perfect,Right doen to the last detail and also it was one of the first games where you could actually take hits using the orb on the front of the ship.

I think it would have been great if a vershion came out on say the Playstation etc that acrried on the theme of the first game.

One level could be like the one in Gradius where the player has to negotiate the maze as the screen scrolls up and down,Add the weird architecture of level 1 rtype and it would be stunning.

The game could copy level 1 r-type and then carry on after the boss is destroyed in to the new game. :banana

Also it would be superb if IREM had released model kits of the rtype game.Imagine an R9 model fighter in your collection.

Rtype----A true example of sheer inspiration :hehehe:

I know this is an old post, and dead, but I just had to add, I recently got R-type final for ps2 import.... and all I can say is WOW... this game is a must have and beautiful.... it is great from start to finish, and obtw, did I mention, there are 101 unlockable ships to play with... suuuuuuuuuuuuuper sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet..... :cheers

Originally posted by stack99@Dec 28, 2003 @ 12:17 AM

did I mention, there are 101 unlockable ships to play with... suuuuuuuuuuuuuper sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet..... :cheers

101 ?!!? Christ :smash

R-Type is an oldie but a classic. Best platform that I've played it on believe it or not is the TG-16. Very good music emulation. Game was hard as hell though, thats what made it such a good game, the challenge that it posed to you.

Back