Random Note about GCC-SH2-COFF

Did anybody receive the email about the discontinuation of KPIT GNU COFF toolchains? Is this even a problem? I ask because I know that you use COFF compilers for the Saturn. I think I recall Rockin'-B setting up ELF binaries for Saturn once, but did that work?

I just thought I'd mention this.

Originally posted by Omni@Sat, 2006-05-06 @ 03:05 PM

Did anybody receive the email about the discontinuation of KPIT GNU COFF toolchains? Is this even a problem? I ask because I know that you use COFF compilers for the Saturn. I think I recall Rockin'-B setting up ELF binaries for Saturn once, but did that work?

I just thought I'd mention this.

[post=146105]Quoted post[/post]​

Was that only for the H8-targetted toolchain and not the Super-H series?

AFAIK, COFF is getting axed from the whole GNU toolchain. The reason is that it's an undocumented format that's inadequate for modern use. There's no equivalent of the TIS committee so that it could be extended in a standard way and the decision was made to drop it instead.

It's only an issue if you want to use Sega's compiled libraries, but keep the old compiler and that problem is solved. If you don't use Sega's libraries the object format doesn't matter; I've always used ELF toolchains myself.

Back