Rarity of early Mega Drive / Genesis?

Hi,

I bought a Sega CD (1!!!) and Genesis recently off ebay. When it arrived i found that it was one of the very early Genesis units, the ones with "High Definition Graphics" or something similar written on the top of them. It also has the EXT/Modem port on the back. I am just wondering if these systems are more sought after then other genesis/megadrive models?

The only reason that i ask is because the earlier neo geo units are generally more sought after due to theor higher build quality and component (namely the video encoders). I am also wondering if this statement remains true when looking at the early mega drive / genesis units.

Cheers

I prefer the early versions due to the head phone jack and that it looks nicer on my scd model 1... rarity though, not to sure... i have never owned a model 2 and owned 10 model 1's in my life sooooo, not to rare to me.

correction: i do own one model 2... and i hate the thing

at pawn shops, i see more model 2's... but they dont go for more or less. most of the people i know here in florida own model 2's, but up north i see more model 1's.

So, i will say, yes it is rarer.... sought after, probably not. except for by people you might find here, like myself.

The early model 1s are worth a bit more just because they don't have the Licensed by screen at the start and can play a few games (early EA games - Budokan, Zany Golf, and one other, I think) that other models of the Genesis are unable to play without a Game Genie. But we're probably talking about a $5-10 difference between that and a 'normal' Genesis 1. As far as I know, there is no difference in signal quality between the two Genesis 1 models. (Although some Gen 2's do seem to have a poorer signal by comparison.)

Just for reference, we're talking about the original Model 1 (with 'High Definition Graphics' written on it), not just any ol' Model 1.

Originally posted by lordofduct@Wed, 2004-09-15 @ 03:51 PM

I prefer the early versions due to the head phone jack and that it looks nicer on my scd model 1... rarity though, not to sure... i have never owned a model 2 and owned 10 model 1's in my life sooooo, not to rare to me.

correction: i do own one model 2... and i hate the thing

[post=118784]Quoted post[/post]​

Why do you hate it? Great so now i know I have a cheep version? I really wanted a sega cd with a front loading drive...but the set-up is different, isn't it?

Does anyone know if the Model 1 Genesis systems are the only ones that will work with a Mega CD 2 Japanese system?

I'm curious to know if an American Model 2 Genesis is compatible with a Mega CD 2 Japanese system.

Back