Ratamahatta's Info

Ratamahatta

Established Member
Ratamahatta's Info

In regards to the site changing again, I will be adding to the site a LOT more than what i have. First off, my Massive FTP will be returning with 50 gigs of joy for all you kiddies.

Second, I will be revamping the MIDI section to include a lot more, and expanding from the basic sega consoles.

Lastly, I will be adding more news updates and random daily info for your enjoyment, and questions? feel free to email me my addres is available through the staff contact pages.

Have fun!

Ratamahatta's Info

Yes, I will up more soundtracks as soon as I talk to Chakan about it. Not a definite date but it will be updated.

Ratamahatta's Info

It seems to me that it's rather sad that it has taken the return of the FTP forum to kick start your enthusiasm Ratamahatta. ???

Ratamahatta's Info

I had nothing more to offer than add to the midi section to the site before the return of the ftp section, now that it has returned, I have quite a lot more to add to the site. I've already kicked a few ideas at Ice but its ultimately up to him to impliment them into the site.

The FTP section was the main reason I joined the site way back when. Now that its back, I think of it as a rebirth to the site and a second chance to me to give back to those that I received games from.

Also with basically the entire staff jumping ship, I have taken it upon myself to lend Ice a hand and become a more worthwhile staffer and do more for the site in my spare time, if you think of it, its one member returning and 3 others leaving, that isnt very even.

Ratamahatta's Info

Originally posted by Ratamahatta@Nov. 15 2002, 5:01 am

Second, I will be revamping the MIDI section to include a lot more, and expanding from the basic sega consoles.

Lastly, I will be adding more news updates and random daily info for your enjoyment...

And you couldn't have done these without the FTP forum's existance?
sarcasm.gif

Ratamahatta's Info

The FTP section rebirth has brought me back to the site for a bit. I will be doing all this while I try to get my ftp up and running

Ratamahatta's Info

Also I didnt like the direction SX was going with rev and skank at the helm, their "vision" of sx would have phased me out, so I figured i'd leave sx be, Ice is back in control so i'm here more. Everyone knew that I was brought into the site by ice.

Ratamahatta's Info

Personally, I like the site without the FTP section. It makes it legal and it's not just another pirated site.

Ratamahatta's Info

what do you mean makes the site legal

the site is legal -- its not a pirate site - its a fan site - even with the FTP section - there are no games offered here

Ratamahatta's Info

Let's see? The site would be making it easy to get game images for downloads. It is providing a forum just for that intention? Isn't that illegal??
sad.gif

Ratamahatta's Info

Its illegal if games for new systems that are still sold on the market are made available for download, though Sega CD hasnt been offered on the market for a number of years now. The FTP forum is under an eagles eye now, so no one needs to worry.

Ratamahatta's Info

Originally posted by Ratamahatta@Nov. 16 2002, 10:18 pm

Its illegal if games for new systems that are still sold on the market are made available for download

Whether the games or the systems they run on are still on sale or not is totally irrelevant from a legal point of view. Unless the copyright has expired or the copyright holder has explicitly granted you the right to distribute the games you are in fact doing something illegal. Since copyright expires 70 years or so after the death of the copyright holder it is safe to assume the first alternative does not stand.

Ratamahatta's Info

But if you direct your attention back to the days when SX actually offered sega games, the site would have been shut down.

I actually remember an instance of a friend of mine sending sega an email to see if they would be able to trade isos and such and sega replied back saying that they were pelased that people were still interested in the sega cd and that trading was ok of games on the system.

Ratamahatta's Info

Originally posted by Ratamahatta@Nov. 16 2002, 7:21 pm

But if you direct your attention back to the days when SX actually offered sega games, the site would have been shut down.

I actually remember an instance of a friend of mine sending sega an email to see if they would be able to trade isos and such and sega replied back saying that they were pelased that people were still interested in the sega cd and that trading was ok of games on the system.

I really doubt that is true. No game publisher in their right mind would allow it. I mean, why do you think Sega, Microsucks, and Nintendo are hunting/shutting down pirates/illegal sites? Heh.

Ratamahatta's Info

Nintendo is the one shutting them down. So is microsoft. Sega could care less about their old systems, they make no money off of them.

Ratamahatta's Info

With the way most of the established and respected members have voted, it seems the FTP is not such a popular idea. If the vote actually means something the FTP forum most likely will be closed. If the vote was just token, the FTP section will still remain up, however most of the established members will dissagree with the choice and most likely will leave for VGR anyways. The FTP section (No matter how tightly controlled) has always brought negetive effects to SX in terms of users. After all, warez is still warez, and any place which contributes to warez is always going to get warez kiddies. If SX still plans to keep the FTP Forum, im sure people from other boards would be more than HAPPY to direct all the priating newbies to you. Expecialy since everyone is sick of them alreadly.

Ratamahatta's Info

Originally posted by Ratamahatta@Nov. 17 2002, 3:21 am

But if you direct your attention back to the days when SX actually offered sega games, the site would have been shut down

It didn't, but that still doesn't make it any more legal. But you're missing the point here: trade all the games you want, just don't spread disinformation about the legality of it. So many people actually believe that "24h" and "abandonware" crap that they'll be in for a nasty surprise if IDSA or someone similar decides to start another round of site raids.

Firstly, even if that is true, Sega can only give the permission to distribute their own titles. Second, I doubt it is true as such a permit (backed up by an official statement) means they could lose some of their most important trademarks, including Sonic. As I have understood things this is the reason companies such as Rare and Codemasters still deny the distribution even of games they did on the Spectrum back in the 80's. Some companies and people do allow the distribution of their old games (see the World of Spectrum permits page) but as the majority of console titles were licenses it is less likely to happen even in cases where the IP is not valuable today.

(Usual disclaimer applies: I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.)

Back