Reading PDF-Files on Dreamcast

Hello,

is there any possibility to read a PDF-File on Dreamcast ? Yes, I am talking about the same files which can be executed by the AcrobatReader.

nope, not that I know of...

that would be a really cool (and difficult... and I don't what laws would be being broken if done) homebrew project.

Aren´t there alot of legal open-source projects out there (like open office e.g.) which support the PDF-Format ?

nester dc se reads pdf's at least I think so unless the image builder converts or extracts the files to jpeg's or other format.

If you can get Dreamcast Linux running, there is no reason why you could not compile xpdf or similar and view pdfs that way. For a standalone application, I don't know of any, but I believe that one of the unofficial browser releases might support pdf -- not sure on that one. There aren't any legal issues involved AFAIK - the pdf specs are freely available.

Originally posted by N00b@Fri, 2005-12-30 @ 02:56 PM

Hello,

is there any possibility to read a PDF-File on Dreamcast ? Yes, I am talking about the same files which can be executed by the AcrobatReader.

[post=143052]Quoted post[/post]​

Why, couldn't you just display the info as text? The TV isn't an ideal situation for anti-aliased text, etc.

I would do that if....

1. I knew a way of converting PDF-files into (readable) text-files

2. I knew how to read any sort of text-files on my Dreamcast

I have no skills regarding DC Development or stuff like that. All I want to do, is getting information from a PDF file to my dreamcast.

If the PDF file must be converted to any text-file so it can be read on a DC, that´s OK !!! I just don´t know how.

I tried it with a few PDF files and it didn´t work. A few years ago PDF was mainly used because of the fact that texts couldn´t be modified or copied.

That depends on what the user decides to do when they create the PDF file. It may also just be that Acrobat Reader (yes, I refuse to call it Adobe Reader) won't let you do it -- I know the full Acrobat product will allow you to select text.

I tried it with Acrobat and OpenOffice and it didn´t work.

And because the user decides if the document can be modified it would probably be easier to let the PDF file be a PDF file and think about how to show it on the Dreamcast, instead of converting every single PDF document into a "whatever".

Back