Regional differences in Sonic CD?

It's common knowledge that the Japanese and US soundtracks to Sonic CD are very different... which version does the UK edition of the game use?

Thanks, here's a related one...

If I were to swap some of the files (for the movies) between the Japanese or PAL version and an ISO of the USA version and burned the Japanese/PAL version audio tracks, could I effectively have a US region copy of the Japanese version of the game? Of course, I don't know which files I'd have to replace, and I imagine that there might be problems with the video if I used the PAL version?

[added]

A 50/60hz switch could fix the video if there are problems, right?

Essentially, I'm trying to figure out whether I can play Sonic CD with the original soundtrack without having to buy a mod chip. I'd easily be willing to get one if it weren't for the fact that I'd only be using it for one game. If there were a lot more that I had an interest in, I wouldn't even be asking.

(Edited by Blues at 4:03 pm on Nov. 8, 2001)

you can't swap any files, or the cd wouldn't be bootable anymore. you can use the US data track and the jap/euro soundtrack, tho.

Well I know I can change the audio tracks. I could put anything I want there, shoud the strange desire strike me. What I'm trying to figure out is the movies. I guessed that the game wouldn't be very likely to run if I just burned all the files to a CDR, but what about using the CD Mage beta to insert just the movie files into an already existing ISO?

Sorry to be a pest ;)

I doubt cdmage can insert files of different size.. they'd have to be identical to the byte, otherwise it'd fuck over the image.

Well, I guess I'll see what I can do once I've actually got the game, if I've got a spare CD to waste... thanks for the advice!

Back