remember the promised vf3 upgrade?

after a ridiculous bit of being screwed around by sega on this one we found in the end the upgrade cart never made it out of am2 r&d.

i still find it interesting though.

does anyone know anything about what they were planning for the cart? like what sort of components it would have or the capabilities it was going to bring to the saturn?

what about concept art?

I always thought that the cart was just going to be the 4meg cart that was later licensed to Capcom?, the trouble with the cart slot is that it only has a 16bit address bus(c'mon mal, correct me if im wrong:), hence the 4 meg is the maximum amount of ram that the saturn can address through that port. However I can rememebr there being speculation though as to the cart having an additional CPU on it though, as there were rumours of a scaled down version of VF3 to be released on the saturn. Can anyone else remeber this?

Can you show us the link of where you saw the artwork for it though?

vf3 was supposed to come with a cart that contains additional ram and an additional 3d chipset to help with the gfx. the 4 meg cart by capcom was out long before vf3 even came out in the arcades.

As I understand it, the cart didn't merely not make it out of AM2 R&D, it never made it out of the proposal phase. I've read bits of an interview with Yu Suzuki in which he indicates that the Saturn port of VF3 (apparently scrapped so as to make VF3 a DC exclusive) was done without any additional graphics hardware.

the trouble with the cart slot is that it only has a 16bit address bus(c'mon mal, correct me if im wrong:), hence the 4 meg is the maximum amount of ram that the saturn can address through that port.

The cart port has at least a 24-bit address bus, and quite possibly the full system address bus. Its memory map allocation is split into regions of 32MB, 16MB , and 8MB (the 8MB region is not decoded by the SCU; it's intended for things like registers); . Besides, a 16-bit address bus would only allow it to access 128K (64K 2-byte words), not 4MB.

. I've read bits of an interview with Yu Suzuki in which he indicates that the Saturn port of VF3 (apparently scrapped so as to make VF3 a DC exclusive) was done without any additional graphics hardware.

so he says that a saturn port was actually developed but not released?

Originally posted by WiseMan@Jun 27, 2003 @ 12:58 PM

. I've read bits of an interview with Yu Suzuki in which he indicates that the Saturn port of VF3 (apparently scrapped so as to make VF3 a DC exclusive) was done without any additional graphics hardware.

Yes, it was publicised in pretty much all major Sega mags in mid-1998 (all 3 of them =P ), and they wanted to release it... but Sega wanted to save such a killer app title for the DC launch..

They were probably wise, people needed a reason to want a DC.

I remember there was a video of Virtua Fighter 3 for Saturn on Sega Flash 4 but is was really too impressive to be the Saturn version.

well, if it used both extra 4 megs of RAM *and* the addon texturing unit that presumably into the VCD slot I think it could be a Saturn version
cool.gif

grasping at straws again...

QUOTE (WiseMan @ Jun 27, 2003 @ 12:58 PM)

Yes, it was publicised in pretty much all major Sega mags in mid-1998 (all 3 of them =P ), and they wanted to release it... but Sega wanted to save such a killer app title for the DC launch..

So it was quite far in the development then? SHIT! We have to find a beta version... lets mail Yu Suzuki and ask nice
smile.gif
Id pay loads to get that beta working and release it. (like Return Fire).

I remember there was a video of Virtua Fighter 3 for Saturn on Sega Flash 4 but is was really too impressive to be the Saturn version.

most likely to be the arcade version i think. i'm pretty sure i read somewhere that some demo discs featured arcade footage. it should tell you on the menu anyway...

but sega flash vol.4 sounds too early to be footage of a saturn version.

i dont think it was even mentioned until just before vol.6 was released...

So it was quite far in the development then? SHIT! We have to find a beta version... lets mail Yu Suzuki and ask nice Id pay loads to get that beta working and release it. (like Return Fire).

is that a realistic suggestion? its not gonna happen. Why would you pay loads to get a beta anyway? i dont think the saturn would really do vf3 justice.

the fact that fighters megamix had the vf3 moves was perhaps the best indication that there is no chance of us ever getting vf3 on saturn and suzuki didnt want to let us down COMPLETELY so we got a little taste...

Its nice to imagine the possibiltys this add-on would have brought to the saturn when used in conjunction with the RAM cart. Virtua Fighter 3, Shenmue... any others you can list? A GOOD conversion of daytona perhaps...

No offense or anything but why would a saturn version of all these games be so exciting? I mean the saturn is the saturn and the Dreamcast is the Dreacmast. I'm guessing we all have a DC so why is it such a big deal that you would be able to play it on sat if it's already completed and has a 99.9 percent probability of being better than it would on saturn. I mean sure it would be cool to see the games modest beginnings but would any of you actually try to track down a beta and get it? that just seems kinda pointless to me.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Jul 4, 2003 @ 12:39 AM

No offense or anything but why would a saturn version of all these games be so exciting? I mean the saturn is the saturn and the Dreamcast is the Dreacmast. I'm guessing we all have a DC so why is it such a big deal that you would be able to play it on sat if it's already completed and has a 99.9 percent probability of being better than it would on saturn. I mean sure it would be cool to see the games modest beginnings but would any of you actually try to track down a beta and get it? that just seems kinda pointless to me.

I see it like this... A "Game Player" wouldn't care for it becaue he could have the better fuller version on Dreamcast. Wich would be cheaper also. But a "Game Collector" would want the beta version for SS. How many people have the beta version for saturn? that would be a rare and valuable peice for any collectors.... collection. Its not like collectors don't play, they just want a great collection. As for me, I wouldn't go out of my way to get it for saturn. It would be cool to see it, but i wouldn't pay mad cash for it.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Jul 4, 2003 @ 12:39 AM

Some of us don't have dreamcasts...
sad.gif

when i said its nice to imagine i meant in the saturns time.

i was just dreaming of some of the wonderous things that could of been created if this add-on was released.

I would think the fact that it's out on the Dreamcast would be besides the point...

Don't know about you, but as a Saturn owner, the idea of seeing VF3 running on my humble Saturn makes my mouth water...

Did someone see pic in a game magazine ? I only saw a vid on demo CD, I'd like to see scans, I never see pic of it on my video games magazine.
sad.gif

Back