Reparing my Sega CD Model 2

Well after a year of my Sega CD not working, I've decided to try and it get to boot again. The problem seems to be a common one that has been discussed on this board many times: the red light on the sega cd won't turn on at all. This leads me to believe that there is something wrong with one of the fuses. It's not the connectors, believe me, I cleaned those things thousands of times.

So I opened up my Sega CD and searched for the fuse that a lot of people have been talking about "F301" I think it is called. However, I can't find a F301. I'm not quite sure where it is suppose to be located either. I've found fuses labeled "C301" which is located toward the area where you plug in the AC adapter and I've found a fused labeled "FB501" which is located near some wires lead to the red light. Is there anything I'm missing and should be searching for?

Also, I'd like to know more about the "wire" technique of getting the fuse to work, since I want to make sure for certain that it is indeed blown out. How do you do it and what type of material should the wire be made out of?

Any speedy replys would be much appreciate, thank you.

This might help Model 2 as far as the wire, I would just use that to see if it is the fuse, if you don't have a meter(best way). The fuse protects the SCD. You can permanently damage the SCD.

Well that's the thing, my fuse looks a lot different than the one in the picture. It is located in the same general area, except that it is bigger and is the color blue...

more help please?

Okay, the tutorial helps, but don't even pay attention to the pictures in the link above. I was led that direction as well, but if you read the advice carefully, he says that the fuse on his is on the SOLDER side (the back), a detail I missed before. Take out the screws holding the board down and lift it up. You should see a small surface mount fuse labeled F301. On mine, it's a beige-ish white, it can also be a green in some. It does NOT look like a resistor in my Model 2. If you've got a meter, check if it's got continuity. Like mine, it probably is blown, so try attaching a wire across it and see what happens. I fixed mine this way just last night, after more than a year of frustration, and all is well! Just make sure to get a 1A fuse to attach instead of the wire, my brother is bringing me one in this afternoon. :)

Sarge out.

This is my EU megacd 2 (the fuse is green here).

As you said, the green color is just *for fun* some other segacd2 may have blue fuses, red (depending which are cheaper in the current world market)...

Attachments

• fuses.jpg
    fuses.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 168
  • fuses.jpg
    fuses.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 166
The fuses that are currently in the SegaCD1 and 2 are rated 2.5A. So why does he say to not exceed a 2A fuse? And why only .85 or 1A? it seems even a minor fluctuation in a .85A AC adapter could then end up blowing the fuse, when there would probably not be any harm to the unit?

Thanks,

JMT.

Back