Reward: 20,- Euro for solving an issue

RockinB

Established Member
You know both boot CD's, MultiBoot from vbt and Atlas from me, use the FLD library from SBL.

Function FLD_Exec() used for booting a game, supports to assign a CD audio start track, to have multiple games on a disc which use CD audio.

But no matter what track number you assign, no matter if homebrew or commercial games are tested, the game you boot with Atlas will always have the default start track number (2).

Find out why and fix this issue and you will get 20,- Euro reward. :banana

Get the source here:

Atlas_060103_src.rar

Who has got the skill to solve this small problem? :huh

give me a cdda player which reads track 1 in loop and works on an emu (without SSE2) and I'll have a look on this problem.

Originally posted by vbt@Tue, 2006-01-10 @ 08:16 PM

give me a cdda player which reads track 1 in loop and works on an emu (without SSE2) and I'll have a look on this problem.

[post=143379]Quoted post[/post]​

Here it is: [attachmentid=1669]

Good luck!

Attachments

• CDDA_loop_track2.rar
    56.4 KB · Views: 111
Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Wed, 2006-01-11 @ 05:21 PM

Here it is: [attachmentid=1669]

Good luck!

[post=143390]Quoted post[/post]​

:) I'll find the solution :)

I did a test project and I can't hear audio track on emu :damn: It doesn't help or I'll have to burn CDs.

Originally posted by vbt@Sun, 2006-02-19 @ 04:01 PM

I did a test project and I can't hear audio track on emu :damn: It doesn't help or I'll have to burn CDs.

[post=144509]Quoted post[/post]​

SSF can play CD tracks. Anyways, the "play track 2" app alone can be uploaded to the PAR with a normal audio CD inserted in Saturn. But Atlas can not.

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Sun, 2006-02-19 @ 06:59 PM

SSF can play CD tracks. Anyways, the "play track 2" app alone can be uploaded to the PAR with a normal audio CD inserted in Saturn. But Atlas can not.

[post=144511]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes but I wanted to do some tests using an emu, here are the results :

Girigiri : says playing but hear nothing

Satourne : restarts when loading the app

Yabause : restarts when loading the app

Saturnin : black screen

Without the bootloader :

saturnin : wrong status (says PAUSE)

Satourne : wrong status (says PAUSE)

Yabause : Play but hear nothing

Girigiri : Play but hear nothing

Originally posted by vbt@Sun, 2006-02-19 @ 05:15 PM

Yes but I wanted to do some tests using an emu, here are the results :

Girigiri : says playing but hear nothing

Satourne : restarts when loading the app

Yabause : restarts when loading the app

Saturnin : black screen

Without the bootloader :

saturnin : wrong status (says PAUSE)

Satourne : wrong status (says PAUSE)

Yabause : Play but hear nothing

Girigiri : Play but hear nothing

[post=144513]Quoted post[/post]​

Ensure that you not only load up the binary or ISO in the emu or Daemon tools, instead you need to load the cue sheet. If you already did, I will look at the source again.

Arg, it's "my fault" :damn: As it didn't work I tried a "good" game that I remember it outputed sound on at least one emu (GT24) and heard nothing :| I tried with the cdplayer, nothing too :| but worked with mplayer. I plugged my HP directly on my CD/DVD player and heard the audio tracks.

So the problem was elsewhere, I searched in the control panel/sound & mm properties. There was a check box to activate the numeric play on this CDROM, I checked this, rebooted and it works now. :damn:

Your sample runs perfectly on girigiri.

I can start my tests now. :) Also I will reactivate my Cd player on my C4 entry project, maybe it was working. :blink:

Originally posted by vbt@Sun, 2006-02-19 @ 08:07 PM

I can start my tests now. :) Also I will reactivate my Cd player on my C4 entry project, maybe it was working. :blink:

[post=144517]Quoted post[/post]​

Ooooohhhhhhh yeahhhhh, that sounds good!

There is no bug in the Boot Loader, I did some test using Daytona Deluxe demo and when I update the starting track number it works. I will search to fix the problem on binaries, maybe the link scripts for binaries on Demo CDs have to be updated or maybe more.

Originally posted by vbt+Mon, 2006-02-20 @ 07:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vbt @ Mon, 2006-02-20 @ 07:54 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>There is no bug in the Boot Loader,
[post=144541]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

Are you speaking about Atlas or MultiBoot?

<!--QuoteBegin-vbt
@Mon, 2006-02-20 @ 07:54 PM

I did some test using Daytona Deluxe demo and when I update the starting track number it works. I will search to fix the problem on binaries, maybe the link scripts for binaries on Demo CDs have to be updated or maybe more.

[post=144541]Quoted post[/post]​

[/quote]

Ah, that's interesting. I tested with complete games instead and afair, it didn't work.

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Tue, 2006-02-21 @ 12:32 AM

Are you speaking about Atlas or MultiBoot?

Ah, that's interesting. I tested with complete games instead and afair, it didn't work.

[post=144550]Quoted post[/post]​

I won :banana

Hey VBT,

Originally posted by vbt@Tue, 2006-02-21 @ 08:17 PM

Yes I really won

:party :auto :biglaugh :devil:

[post=144579]Quoted post[/post]​

You claim to be the winner although you didn't tell the solution. :sigh

Let me think for 5 seconds and guess what it is....hmm...aha:

I got it: we all did it wrong in our CDDA playing source code. Instead of accessing tracks relative to the start track number that can be retrieved from the TOC using the CDC library, we always assigned the absolute track number to play.

Ha, and you wanna win a prize? Sorry, another one has been faster :p .

Jokes aside, congratulations VBT, great work! Thanks for solving this problem. Unlike z-roc, I will keep my promise and transfer the 20,- Euro to you. Have you got a paypal account? If not, I think international money transactions are free in europe, I will inform me again about this and transfer it to your bank account. Thanks man!

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Tue, 2006-02-21 @ 11:16 PM

Hey VBT,

You claim to be the winner although you didn't tell the solution. :sigh

Let me think for 5 seconds and guess what it is....hmm...aha:

I got it: we all did it wrong in our CDDA playing source code. Instead of accessing tracks relative to the start track number that can be retrieved from the TOC using the CDC library, we always assigned the absolute track number to play.

Good try, the track number on the game is a fake :p in order to make you think this. You got the solution in a PM :)

Ha, and you wanna win a prize? Sorry, another one has been faster :p .

Jokes aside, congratulations VBT, great work! Thanks for solving this problem. Unlike z-roc, I will keep my promise and transfer the 20,- Euro to you. Have you got a paypal account? If not, I think international money transactions are free in europe, I will inform me again about this and transfer it to your bank account. Thanks man!

[post=144580]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks a lot but as I said in the PM, I don't really deserve the 20Euros, it wasn't my goal to get money for this issue.

Thanks for your work VBT, this will help making correct CDDA programs.

Please share the solution with us all. And about the position of the track array in RAM: is it for sure that it is always the same, that your approach will always work?

(I have tested the binary and it did)

VBT, you know the reward is yours, but thanks again.

Here it is :

take the cd_ctrl.c & cd_ctrl.h from the GAME_CD sample of the SBL then try this :

Code:
  unsigned char *tno;

InitCDBlock();    

tno = (unsigned char *) 0x6000CCD;

PlayMusic(tno[0]);

Compile the code, set different starting track numbers on your games and 'you'll see the values are taken into account :)

Just a note for the C4 contest, I didn't test it yet on a multiboot CD, it could solve the the problem of making a specific release for the CD version :

unsigned char tno = (unsigned char *) 0x6000CCD;

if (tno >99)

{

tno=0;

}

then in you playtrack calls you can do : track + tno

I did that for my SBL entry, sure it works with PAR, I'd say it will work on a Multiboot CD.

Back