Robb webb modchips

Anyone else have trouble with his chips the last couple of years? I've ordered two of them from him and both have been SOA (SHIT ON ARRIVAL). I noticed both were purple, and had a slightly different pcb layout than my last blue one. I lost the blue one in a shoebox around 10yrs ago. I tried his newer chips on a 32 and 64 pin model 2, and a 20pin model 1. No matter what combo/bridging, US or JP system, nothing worked. The things were fucking DOA. Every month or two I would get up the motivation to try different saturns, different combo's. Nothing seemed to work. A few months after I ordered the 2nd one of his purple chips I sent a email and the response was basically too fucking bad, you must have done something wrong. Mind you I have plenty of soldering experience, have done all sorts of mods, built custom machines etc...The iron I used on the saturns was a 1/64" tip....

In the past I thought he was a decent guy and did a service to the community, but after ordering two chips and getting the shaft on both and no support. I think he's a fucking piece of shit. Should I plan a trip to europe, I know who is on my list to visit. It's only $50 or so, however its the PRINCIPLE.

Who here has managed to get a working chip recently and where did you get it from?

Well I haven't bought a mod chip rather a modded saturn.

The case and system condition were meh to be honest. The shipping was EXPENSIVE !!

Still is for some reason...

However, I might try Segastyle or Racketboy maybe. I heard good things about them so give it a try !

Do let us know if you do.
wink.gif

Best of luck.

I got my Saturn mod chip from consolegoods, and was very happy, but they've cracked down on mod chips in the UK, so they don't carry them anymore.
sad.gif

But I just mentioned 2 more sources....
huh.gif

Plus, there's some guy who sells mod chips in assembler forums.

But it doesn't bother me that much honestly as I have everything that I want in original disc.

Rebuilding my collection as we speak.
wink.gif

Although the translated Shining Force trilogy, is a bit of a bummer to lose on unchipped saturn. Not to mention the upcoming Dragon Force 2 if it ever finish.

I only modded my Saturn so I could do homebrew. I do 32X homebrew, and a few folks keep bugging me to work on the Saturn given my experience with dual SH2 systems.
biggrin.gif

Saturn games are USUALLY pretty easy to find, and cheap. Funny enough, I had a bunch of Saturn games long before ever having a Saturn - my dad ran a video store during the time the Saturn was out, and when he shut it down (he moved to a different state), he gave me all his Saturn discs. Now that I have a Saturn, I can finally play the discs.
cool.gif

sat985 said:
Anyone else have trouble with his chips the last couple of years? I've ordered two of them from him and both have been SOA (SHIT ON ARRIVAL). I noticed both were purple, and had a slightly different pcb layout than my last blue one. I lost the blue one in a shoebox around 10yrs ago. I tried his newer chips on a 32 and 64 pin model 2, and a 20pin model 1. No matter what combo/bridging, US or JP system, nothing worked. The things were fucking DOA. Every month or two I would get up the motivation to try different saturns, different combo's. Nothing seemed to work. A few months after I ordered the 2nd one of his purple chips I sent a email and the response was basically too fucking bad, you must have done something wrong. Mind you I have plenty of soldering experience, have done all sorts of mods, built custom machines etc...The iron I used on the saturns was a 1/64" tip....

In the past I thought he was a decent guy and did a service to the community, but after ordering two chips and getting the shaft on both and no support. I think he's a fucking piece of shit. Should I plan a trip to europe, I know who is on my list to visit. It's only $50 or so, however its the PRINCIPLE.

Who here has managed to get a working chip recently and where did you get it from?

So far all the chips I couldn't get working have overheated, the main 18cv8p chip on them was extremely hot to the touch after a minute or so of being connected and powered.

Rob Webb sells EMSIC7-1 chips, which require additional soldering. Racketboy and Segastyle sell the SSIC8B type, which also requires a lot of work, and it's also extremely fragile. There are a good 15 or so other type modchips thohugh, and a good deal of them work as-is.

What kind of chip did you got, other than the SSICx chips, all of the ones I've seen so far come on generic green pcbs.

I'm actually the person selling modchips on the AssemblerGames forums. I don't have a web store or anything, but people know me since I sell chips at the lowest price by a wide margine. I sell 21-pin (32-pin IC Saturn) Modchips of various types. I say various because the models I receive from suppliers are mixed. Some have space for populating 20-pin connectors, some use timing crystals, some use no crystals at all. Basicly it's whatever manufactures have on hand as leftover stock. Currently I'm all sold out (just sold my last bin of them to someone). But I plan to get more in. My pricing is $14.99 USD per chip, but I will easily price match anyone who sells for lower (though that has never happened).

saturnmodboards.jpg

Back