Running PAL games at 60Hz

Having just purchased my Japanese Saturn, I thought it would be sensible to get an idea of how my PAL games will run on it (I have also purchased an Action Replay Plus).

As most of us will know, a lot of PAL games were not converted/optimised for 50Hz; playing these on a 60Hz system will simply "bump them up" to the correct speed and display size. This is good!

However, some games were converted. My guess is that these will then run too fast on a 60Hz Saturn, and possibly with some of the screen missing. I'm not sure of this, though.

I'm just wondering, as a rough proportion, how many games were converted, and what other region-mixing users here have experienced. Any replies, information or your own experiences are appreciated. Thanks! :)

I've only played a few PAL games on my US system here in America. I never really noticed that much difference if any at all... then again I've never played very fast paced PAL games. Like Panzer Dragoon Saga I played and it wasn't very noticeable.

How about installing a 50/60hz switch in it and playing your games at 60 hz and if you notice strange speeds then swap it over to 50hz.

Thanks, but I won't be modding the Japanese one. =) However, I am planning on hopefully creating a "super-Saturn" out of one of my PALs - with region and Hz switches and a modchip (and to that end, will be contacting our very own Racketboy soon! ;))

Thanks anyway, and anybody else with stories to tell about PAL games' performance, tell'em! :rock:

Cool, I have the Gray model one modded :D Being from Portugal I tried some PAL games of course, some games have glitches like PAL Virtua ON, PAL optimised games like Sega Rally run too fast and the image is too large (top and bottom get cropped), but most are ok.

Apart from PAL optimized games the only other trouble you can encounter is with games that have FMV. FMV A/V will most likely run out of sync because the framerate is too fast.

Back