S-Video Questions

schi0249

Mid Boss
I am in the process of upgrading the connections on some of my systems to S-video. I am curious is there are different quality cables. I so, what type or brans. I am going to be using S-Video for the following: GC, DC, and Saturn. Thanks.

For most stuff you're better off with a 1st party cable, although for newer systems like the gamecube high-end 3rd party stuff is available. Basically it just boils down to the amount of shielding. I have some cheap HK svideo cables (identical) for my SNES and Gamecube, and although the SNES is fine, the Gamecube suffers from some interference. I have a lot of other generic cables that I don't have a problem with. The stock cables for the above systems are all of high quality, though.

First of all, S-Video, as opposed to RCA/COMPOSITE connections only really has one difference. The luminance and chrominance are split in to two pins (aka they're seperated), preventing crosstalk and such. A lot of the source stuff, especially for things like laserdisc and vhs video are actually recorded in composite video. This means, if they do have an s-video output, it's actually going through a comb filter first, bypassing any comb filter your television may have.

TVs also have comb filters that can seperate the chrominance and luminance in composite connection, but most of them just don't do as good as the s-video output on your game or dvd player. This may be because there are several different types of comb filters in televisions. There are three main types: 2-line, 3-line, and 3D YC. I believe there are a few non-standard types, like a 4d one as well.

While I've never owned a tv that had that great of comb filter apparently (because the s-video was always better than composite on the ones i've owned), if you have a good tv, you should try both and compare. You might just have one with a good comb filter, never know. Hope this helps.

Thanks. Say I have another question on cables. My PS2 and X-Box are gonna hooked up through component. If I can get a good deal, are monster cables really that much better?

I have 1 monster cable s-video cable, and there is absolutely no difference between that and average joe's cables. It is heavier built, probably better shielded, and I believe THX certified, which is really what you're paying that extra money for.

That's not to say that it isn't going to be any better than a bad cable. If you have interference problems or something, it's because you have a defective cable most likely and not because you don't have the almighty monster cable lol.

I use a Monster Gamecube S-Video cable for my original-style US SNES. I only went that route because it was the quickest way to get a cable and have it in my hands right there, without having to wait for shipping or anything.

If I can get a good deal, are monster cables really that much better?
No. There's a small difference that might be visible if you have a very large TV, but in general the benefit of skipping composite will far outweigh anything that you get by buying expensive cables. That being said, there are sometimes some really awful cables packed in with cheap DVD players and the like, and those you might want to replace with something that doesn't look like it was built by the lowest bidder.

TVs also have comb filters that can seperate the chrominance and luminance in composite connection, but most of them just don't do as good as the s-video output on your game or dvd player.
Unless something is defective, S-Video from a DVD player or game console should always be better than composite, because Y/C are never mixed in the first place and thus the effect should be the same as an absolutely perfect comb filter.

Back