Sammy Buys Sega

That's disappointing, but expected. Early one Sammy made it clear they had no problem buying out the remaining control.

Is it just me or has everything gone to shit lately? I don't mean to lament or anything, but it seems that everything we cherish keeps getting destroyed whatever it is, and in this case its Sega. I'm gonna go back under my rock and fire up my Genny. :huh:

Crap, this looks like the end of Sega as wel know it. Hopefully the big guns will continue to work there. At least Sammy knows what they're doing, so this isn't quite like Atari or something. I'm just worried that this will force Sega to make a bunch of crappy 'Sport Shooting USA' type games.

Or the talent goes off and forms their own company, which I can see happening.

Will it be known as Sammy? Or Sega?

It was inevitable given recent events, but no less saddening. I'd rather Microsoft bought them, at least they would have let them do what they do best - make games. With Sammy... all bets are off. They want to dominate the arcades. Great. Where does that leave Sega's console franchises? Will Sega talent stay?

It wouldn't surprise me if Sammy decides to sell them off to the highest bidder. I'm sure they could get top dollar for Sega Sports. And could you imagine what the Phantasy Star franshise could be worth?? That is my hope. Give the properties to somebody who cares.

Wait, isn't Visual Concepts their own thing? Then how can Sammy sell Sega Sports?

Also, Phantasy Star is Sonic Team, and Sonic Team is it's own deal (own company and such. At least that's what I've been to believe). Sammy can't do anything with Sonic, Phantasy Star, NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, etc.

I just wanna know where AM2 fits in with all this... Is AM2 it's own thing as well? Or just a division of Sega (it says "Sega AM2" upon boot up of VF Evo)? If there IS/WAS gonna be a Shenmue III, what's it's fate now? What's the fate of the arcade division? What's the fate of the arcade to home conversions? WHAT'S THE FATE OF THE CONSOLE DIVISION ITSELF?!?!?!?! :unsure:

I swear... if Sammy even TOUCHES Virtua Fighter, there will be fucking hell to pay...:rant

Edit: Fuck.... after reading this at GameSpot:

Following the announcements, Sega also revealed it will be merging its divisions together. Starting July 1, Sega's seven subsidiaries--Sega Wow, Sega AM2, Hitmaker, Sonic Team, Smilebit, Amusement Vision, and Digitalrex, will begin integrating back into Sega.

It looks as though Sammy will literally have COMPLETE control! Dammit! :rant

God.. my hatred for Sammy is even greater than $ony now... er.. wait... it's still $ony.. no Sammy... Dammit! I can't make up my mind!

Let's all rally for either Naka or Suzuki to be Prez! :thumbs-up:

*Sniff * Farewell Sega... I may not have become a fan until August 2000 with my Saturn, but I'm glad to have been a part of it! :(

LONG LIVE SEGA! :bow :bow :bow

Time to go write another Dedication Essay... :thumbs-up:

This is bullshit! If they let SEGA do their own thing, then it's all good...but I doubt they will. Sammy isn't what I would call a good influence, hopefully they just give SEGA free reign.

The new company will be known as "Sega Sammy Holding Inc." Rolls off the tongue, doens't it? :puke:

This is an excellent article on the announcement. Considering the amount of gloom in this topic, I feel it would be helpful to copy/paste the good news they mention for us Sega fans:

First of all, Sega's strong E3 line-up, which included OutRun2, Spikeout and Virtua Quest, demonstrates that the immediate future for Sega fans is rosy.

Second, fan favourites like Super Moneky Ball are getting their next outings soon - Amusement Vision's Tosihiro Nagoshi confirmed in an exclusive Kikizo interview to be posted soon that SMB3 is on its way.

Third, massive titles like Virtua Fighter 5 have been in development for some time and are not going to be canned.

Fourth, we know that further game announcements are due this summer, and we have a feeling fans will like them.

Finally, do you think Yu Suzuki and his Digital Rex studio, formed last September, has merely been sitting on his backside? We very much doubt it.

Sega's booth babes from E3 last week will make everyting in life work out just fine. (Feature soon!)

I hope that cheers some people up. The news is certainly a downer, though. The article also mentions that Sammy will likely allow Sega to remain independent in its development and marketing of games. I just pray they don't cancel expensive console games like Shenmue III, assuming it's even in development. Another interesting thing to note is how much more successful Sammy is than Sega. Last year, Sega made $59.4 million, compared to Sammy's $283 million. And no, I didn't forget the decimal point. Maybe the extra money will allow developers to take more risks? I doubt it, but who knows?

Satomi really sounds evil, though. He really reminds me of Goji Rokakku from Jet Set Radio. I bet this is how the GGs would feel if they found out that Rokakku had bought Jet Set Radio. I'm sure at least Racket will get that analogy. :unsure:

Originally posted by reX dart: eskimo spy@May 18, 2004 @ 11:44 PM

I just pray they cancel expensive console games like Shenmue III, assuming it's even in development.

Err, did you leave out a "don't" there somewhere?

I thought Sega bought Visual Concepts back in '99 or 2000. I remember hearing back then they were in the process of buying up the company. If anyone knows if that didn't go through, feel free to correct me.

Also, Phantasy Star is Sonic Team, and Sonic Team is it's own deal (own company and such. At least that's what I've been to believe). Sammy can't do anything with Sonic, Phantasy Star, NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, etc.

Er, Phantasy Star is Sonic Team? They may be working on the franchise now, but many of the PSII dev team are now part of Overworks. And no, Sonic Team isn't its own independent company, it's just an independent unit of Sega. It has its own budget to work with and so on, but it's still directly accountable and doesn't own any IP.

Back