Saroo Crash Warning!

segareplay

Gear Supporter
I learned the hard way last night that the controller reset feature (start + A + B + C) for the Saroo is causing corrupted SD cards with data loss. Some people are reporting complete corruption of cards with no reformatting/repair. For me, I was able to replace the firmware on the SD and and reboot. I still lost my game save data, however. Again, in the bug forum on the project page, the "decision" was made to call the controller reset function as "unsafe" and not recommended for use until TPUNIX comes up with a new update which addresses it.

Given the popularity of the Saroo, I wanted to share this with the community. Word to the wise; get off your butt and walk over to the Saturn and push the reset to change games. I know, I know, stone age and all, but it's better than corrupt save files!

I learned the hard way last night that the controller reset feature (start + A + B + C) for the Saroo is causing corrupted SD cards with data loss. Some people are reporting complete corruption of cards with no reformatting/repair. For me, I was able to replace the firmware on the SD and and reboot. I still lost my game save data, however. Again, in the bug forum on the project page, the "decision" was made to call the controller reset function as "unsafe" and not recommended for use until TPUNIX comes up with a new update which addresses it.

Given the popularity of the Saroo, I wanted to share this with the community. Word to the wise; get off your butt and walk over to the Saturn and push the reset to change games. I know, I know, stone age and all, but it's better than corrupt save files!

Hello:
We have tested and could not replicate this issue.
Can you provide more information?

For example:
Sega Saturn version?
BIOS version?
Game name?
SD card brand, model, capacity and format?
Where did you buy the Saroo? Do you have a photo of the PCB?

Or more details

I'm using the controller reset to change games since the last update and never experienced this. Maybe it's specific to some boards or cards.

Based on what I'm reading, they haven't been able to correlate it to specific hardware and just recommend not using the feature for now. Please note; I used the controller reset method repeatedly over the course of several weeks of frequent play without issue. Ergo, there is no way to really test it. It "comes out of nowhere" so to speak. Just be careful if you don't want to loose your save data. The thread I'm referring to is here: SD card corruption when resetting back to Saroo from Albert Odyssee (firmware 0.5) · Issue #113 · tpunix/SAROO

After checking out this thread and you still want the requested data, I will get it together for you.

Update on the official github: it is recommended to format your micro SD for the Saroo in exfat. It appears that the corrupted data issue may only be happening to those cards formatted in fat32.

Back