SDLoader v0.12: run binaries from SD Card and backup/restore saves

Original SD cards are limited to 2GB. SDHC cards can be up to 32GB, SDXC 2TB, and SDUC 128TB.

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the type of MicroSD card to use. I've been leafing through the pages about this adapter since I am getting hit with the infamous "SD card init error" when using my MicroSD Cards. I've tried both a 8GB and 16GB card and got the init error. I just wanted to know if having a 2GB card is a must or can a bigger size be used as long as it's formatted properly?

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the type of MicroSD card to use. I've been leafing through the pages about this adapter since I am getting hit with the infamous "SD card init error" when using my MicroSD Cards. I've tried both a 8GB and 16GB card and got the init error. I just wanted to know if having a 2GB card is a must or can a bigger size be used as long as it's formatted properly?
The size itself doesn't matter.

The partition setup does.
First of all, multiple partitions is probably not a good idea, since we don't know if the library used by the software digests them correctly.
The partition type should be either FAT16, FAT32, or exFAT.

Regarding the SD card init error, you're probably affected by the SPI initialisation problem, which comes from the Saturn itself.
To verify that it's indeed the case, you have to test version 0.127d (burn a CD or put it on an ODE):
Note that you'll have to use either FAT16 or FAT32 with that version, not exFAT.
The very first attempt should display an "SD card init error" message.
All attempts after the first one should work as expected.
First let us know if that's the case, and i'll share the trick to use version 0.381.

Cheers.

The size itself doesn't matter.

The partition setup does.
First of all, multiple partitions is probably not a good idea, since we don't know if the library used by the software digests them correctly.
The partition type should be either FAT16, FAT32, or exFAT.

Regarding the SD card init error, you're probably affected by the SPI initialisation problem, which comes from the Saturn itself.
To verify that it's indeed the case, you have to test version 0.127d (burn a CD or put it on an ODE):
Note that you'll have to use either FAT16 or FAT32 with that version, not exFAT.
The very first attempt should display an "SD card init error" message.
All attempts after the first one should work as expected.
First let us know if that's the case, and i'll share the trick to use version 0.381.

Cheers.
Just installed 0.127d on my MODE. Boots fine and gives the SD card init error on options A, B, and C. When I tried to either reset or reboot into another version, the same SD card init error occurs.

Boots fine and gives the SD card init error on options A, B, and C.
I'll assume you did more than 1 try on each session, cause that's important.
If you're sure the card was formatted in FAT16 or FAT32 (remember, exFAT doesn't work on 0.127d), then it may be a different issue.
First i would try 0.127d on as much SD cards as possible, to rule out the faulty card (remember, always do 2 tries).
Another possibility is that your Saturn requires different timings than the ones used on both 0.127d and 0.381.
It wouldn't hurt to test some earlier versions (before 0.127d) to verify that, i guess.
The faulty module is a possibility, though not exactly the most likely, especially if the seller tested it before the shipping.

I'll assume you did more than 1 try on each session, cause that's important.
Indeed. I went as far as pulling out a 128GB MicroSD and seeing it that would work with the same results.
If you're sure the card was formatted in FAT16 or FAT32 (remember, exFAT doesn't work on 0.127d), then it may be a different issue.
I formatted them all to FAT and when that didn't work I tried FAT32 with the same problem still occuring. Since you mentioned it could be a different issue, it didn't cross my mind that I used one of those Sega Saturn Extension cables, instead of destroying a Sega Saturn controller which could be causing the issue. The only two other things I could think of is that I did some crappy soldering job and used the wrong kind of wire or I got the wrong type of board to use.
Another possibility is that your Saturn requires different timings than the ones used on both 0.127d and 0.381.
It wouldn't hurt to test some earlier versions (before 0.127d) to verify that, i guess.

So far I've tried 0.381 and the first release before I got 0.127 and its still problems. I'm going to go with me possibly doing a bad job on either soldering or wiring and go through it all again.

Indeed. I went as far as pulling out a 128GB MicroSD and seeing it that would work with the same results.
To be clear, for the concerned machines, the card has to stay plugged after attempt 1 for everything to start working.
Basically, the 1st attempt, despite failing, actually enables SPI mode, which is why all subsequent attempts succeed.
Once the card is removed, SPI mode gets reset, so you need another failed attempt to have it back on again.

I formatted them all to FAT and when that didn't work I tried FAT32 with the same problem still occuring. Since you mentioned it could be a different issue, it didn't cross my mind that I used one of those Sega Saturn Extension cables, instead of destroying a Sega Saturn controller which could be causing the issue. The only two other things I could think of is that I did some crappy soldering job and used the wrong kind of wire or I got the wrong type of board to use.
I actually own 2 of those cables myself.
I didn't use them for a while, but from what i remember, the contact with the port was unreliable.
Maybe that's a lead right there...

So far I've tried 0.381 and the first release before I got 0.127 and its still problems. I'm going to go with me possibly doing a bad job on either soldering or wiring and go through it all again.
I didn't know you built the thing by yourself, cool.
Good luck with the diagnostic!

I'm having the same issue too of sd error. I have a 32 gb card. I formatted to fat 32. I'll have to do the test on what mention later.
But I got my sd loader from aliexpress
Not sure if they did a bad job on the soddering

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out!
C$30.18 16%OFF | Saturn SDLoader Memory Backup Retro Game Accessory Support TF Card

Back