Saturn 20/21 pins modchip

This site reports that there saturn action replay 4in1 is a cdr backup player is that true? I know you guys are better gurus, then I so I though I would ask:

http://www.1-888-modchips.com/g.html#saturn

it's about half way down on the page under the modchip, I emailed them but no answer.

Still interested in the 20 pin chip though..
smile.gif

I think what they mean is that it can play: import games and import games on cdrs in conjunction with the mod chip, so you have to install the mod board also. I've never seen a 4 in 1 cart that also functions as a modchip, and I don't think such a thing exists.

Sweet, been following this thread for a bit ... depending on shipping from HK to Canada, I'd love to have a chip or two
smile.gif

Please keep us posted.

I've spoken to the owner on the phone, the chips are now reserved for me.

I'm getting a friend who lives in HK to pop in and buy them and post them cheaply (aka slow) to my home in the UK, and I'll ship them from there.

To prevent people thinking I am going to take their money and run, I'll send the first one to a "respected" member of SX and they can confirm they are 20-pin / 21-pin mod chips and do work.

Later

Alex

Send one to mal, single-handed master of the saturn mod, first.

By the way mal, kudos on the "A-B" method. If it wasn't for that, my 64pin saturn would be toast.
biggrin.gif

Well I'm still in and I trust ya, I mean it would be different if this was a mainstream product, and everybody needed one, and you were charging like 50 bucks per person, then it would be fishy buisness. Hopefully you can accept paypal!

Oh yeah the way you described the installation was very well detailed. the pics from that homepage were just a tad blurry (at least I though). I was thinking if it's not too much trouble, and you don't have to, but for the few of us that are buying the chips, maybe you could take a few pics of your mod chip on where you re-soldier the ribbon, and exactly which side the cut was placed. I would appreciated if you could. Thanks,

Sa2

Originally posted by sa2@Mar 15, 2003 @ 06:41 PM

maybe you could take a few pics of your mod chip on where you re-soldier the ribbon, and exactly which side the cut was placed.

You dont re-solder the ribbon, you re-solder the connectors that the ribbons go into, it's impossible to get them the wrong way round. As for which track to cut on the cable going to the Saturn, it doesnt really matter, it's just the edge one. If you do the wrong side, you just move the ribbon cable from the saturn to the modboard (which is slightly narrower cos it's only 20-pin) from oneside to the other.

Later

Alex

Hi,

I've taken some photographs of the modchips. These are not photo's found on the net (you ever seen them before?). You can see how the ribbon cable connectors are on the 21-pin side. They need de-soldering, moving to the other side and re-soldering (42-solders both times). Also there is a +5v fly lead (not pictured here) which goes to the +5v on the PSU. (No soldering required).

I'll keep everyone posted when I get the other mod chips.

Also I have converted the PCB layout into a schematic. If it is possible to read the PIC and the PAL chips on this PCB I will provide the HEX and Schematic so that people can make their own.

Alex

Image1.jpg
Image2.jpg

Bravo!!!! I now see what I exactly have to do to make it from 21 to 20. It doesn't seem difficult at all, just time consuming, but with some patients, it'll be ok. Thanks for the pics!

Sa2

Just a quick question (not trying to hijack the thread).

I bought two modchips a few months ago, installed the one in my 21 pin and was told the other one was for both 21 and 20 pin. It looks almost identical to the pics posted, except it is not labeled, it only has 2 of the long black things(sorry, dont know what they are called), and there are two wires coming from it, a thick black one and a thin light blue one. If i can get my hands on a camera, I can post a pic, but is there a chance that this is a 20/21 pin mod?

Maybe.

If it does have 2 sets of holes on the PCB (one for 20 pin and one for 21 pin) then the answer should be yes.

If you could get a pic or two we could probably answer more accurately.

Hi,

I dont think he's talking about the Ribbon cable connectors, I think he is referring to the chips. If you look here you see a different model 20/21-pin modboard (notice it only has two chips as you describe, the PIC and the PAL), and the pictures (although fuzzy) dont show any silk screening (printing on the PCB), sounds like he has one of these boards.

My board should also have one (classically red) wire coming off it to the +5 V line on the PSU as described.

Dunno what the other wire on his is, there is no mention of a second wire on this site, or in the pictures.

The boards I have are identical to the one on Tony's Sega website indicated as a 20-pin chip (cept mine are wired the opposite to the one on Tony's page).

Later

Alex

Originally posted by Alexh@Mar 19, 2003 @ 09:29 AM

I dont think he's talking about the Ribbon cable connectors, I think he is referring to the chips. If you look here you see a different model 20/21-pin modboard (notice it only has two chips as you describe, the PIC and the PAL), and the pictures (although fuzzy) dont show any silk screening (printing on the PCB), sounds like he has one of these boards.

I see what you mean. Not quite what I'd call almost identical though. *shrug*

SegaFreak - You'd still need to connect to the 5v supply, but that doesn't necessarily need soldering.

I'll see if I cant get a picture of it, might have to hook up my ghetto webcam..anyway, my modchip looks like the pictures you posted Alexh, minus the printing and one of the chips, it does have the the spots for the ribbon connectors on the other end, just no connectors are there.

Ok, I just took another look at this page you posted http://johnnys.nailed.org/saturnmod1.html

and the modchip I have is identical to the one on the page, minus the ribbon connectors on the right hand side, next to the shorter chip. I'm assuming the thicker black wire is the power wire.

Originally posted by chubbito@Mar 19, 2003 @ 05:54 AM

I'm assuming the thicker black wire is the power wire.

If you are intending to use it, do not assume anything. Use a multimeter or some other circuit tester (or your eyes, follow the tracks) to see if that wire is connected the power pins on the chips (i.e. Pin 14 on the PIC)

Later

Alex

It is going to pin 14, but is there any way of knowing if my ribbon connectors are on the 21 pin or 20 pin side, since it isnt labeled.

Count the number of pins on the sockets.

If it's only got one set of sockets, I'd be guessing it's the 21 pin side.

I hooked it up in my 20 pin, got two large red spheres, muddled sound, and no cd spinnage. I would guess you are right mal, and that the connectors are on the 21 pin side, and I'm not up for trying to switch them over, and probably wouldnt be able to do it even if i wanted to.

Back