Saturn Mod chips...EXACTLY how do they work?

For Example what is the pinout of the 21pin ribbon cable? and what is sent when the sega is reading the protection ring and what is the propper reply(in binary)?

is it serial or parallel?

The best info I've seen on pinouts etc. can be found in these schematics (though there's no guarantee they're totally accurate or that they correspond to your model Saturn). As for the data sent over the cable, I guess your best bet it to hook the Saturn to a logic analyzer or scope or somesuch. AFAIK this info hasn't been released onto the net.

Live a little - click a few links.
wink.gif

I think what you are asking for is quite complicated. You definately need to use a logic analyser to discover the output of the various devices and attempt to reverse engineer from there. I can't think of any other way of obtaining that information - as antime says, the information is (understandably) sparse.

Do you mind if I ask you why you want this information?

well...im trying to make a mod chip 'cos they dont sell them here in australia anymore.

actually do any of you have the schematics for one?

thanx.

Another Aussie! Cool.
biggrin.gif

What sort of Saturn are you wanting to mod? If it's a 32 pin unit, just order one in from either Lik-Sang or Lan-Kwei as they post to Australia.

Don't wory about me, I'm just making assumptions about what you know...

Does the CD board of your Saturn have a rectangular 32 pin IC on it?

2f000650.jpg

Or does it have a square 64 pin IC pic?

modins3.jpg

If it's got the 32 pin IC any 21 pin mod should work.

If it's got the 64 pin IC gamegizmo mods did work, but they don't sell them any more. At this point in time, no other mods are guranteed to work; there seems to be some incompatability. *sigh*

BTW, where's the Saturn section gone at Lik-Sang? :confused

Don't tell me that they're not doing Saturn mods anymore...
sad.gif

Originally posted by AntiPasta@May 19, 2003 @ 10:53 AM

maybe have a look in the Otaku corner? I also heard modchips are easy to find in Brazil, is that true?

Well, since I live in Brasil I guess I can answer this
smile.gif

A few years ago, when the Saturn was still alive, it was very easy to find modchips for it, but now I guess it's almost impossible, at least in most towns. Maybe the only place that has it is Santa Efigênia in São Paulo, but I can't give you more info about this place since I don't live there.

Lik-Sang does not have saturn mod chips at the moment so it seems <_< I really should buy a couple mods before its too late.

Making your own mod chip would be very difficult. Not really because you can't replicate the layout of the board but because you need a pretty complex program on it that no HK maker is quite willing or could give half a fuck about to give away. Also from what I hear you can't actually read the code on the chip back either due to the design of it.

Yeah I'd agree with that last statement GB. I've had a brief glance at the specs for some of the onboard IC's - they seem to specify some kind of write once, read never mechanism if I understood the information correctly.

Well, if you have access to the right equipment you might be able to strip the chip package and manually flip the read-protect mechanism. Definitely not something you could do in your kitchen, but has been done (some PSX/PS2 modchip was verified to contain stolen code this way, there was a nice webpage with photos up at some time).

Well, if you have access to the right equipment you might be able to strip the chip package and manually flip the read-protect mechanism. Definitely not something you could do in your kitchen, but has been done

As a matter of fact, it seems that this sort of thing is what the infamous bunnie is doing as his occupation now.

you need a pretty complex program on it

It's not clear that the program itself is complex (low-end PICs don't make happy homes for complex programs), but the process needed to obtain the necessary information to write it probably is tricky for anyone other than a professional electrical engineer or someone with similar diagnostic knowledge and equipment.

I've had a brief glance at the specs for some of the onboard IC's - they seem to specify some kind of write once, read never mechanism if I understood the information correctly.

The main components, at least on most mods, are a PIC microcontroller and an SPLD. The SPLD probably fits your description better than the PIC, but the reason it looks confusing is that it's not a memory but a way to produce custom logic chips, i.e. the chip contains an array of gates and you "write" it by blowing internal fuses to set up the logic functions you want.

Back