saturn mod-chips

hey folks,

i've heard that most saturn mod-chip only beypass the security-code check but the machine still can't run games from other region. is that right or are those guys spreading that rumor complete idiots?

the region check would be no problem to me as i have a ST-Key cartridge but what when i need to use a memory card or memory expansion?

i've heard that most saturn mod-chip only beypass the security-code check but the machine still can't run games from other region.

Yes, the Saturn separates copy protection from region protection.

the region check would be no problem to me as i have a ST-Key cartridge but what when i need to use a memory card or memory expansion

You get an Action Replay. Alternatively you patch the game image to use the same region as your Saturn and use whatever cartridge you want.

I hear some of those Saturns they sell at Chinese stores do both. They have hardware that beats the copyprotection, and hardware that beats the region settings. I'v heard the really good ones even auto-detect region settings.

it´s possible to, for example:

put a modded bios at the saturn to don´t look for the ring ?

or something like this ?

sounds possible, but where to get a compatible rewritable flash or something? the hacked bios would be another problem...

the bios that is avaible on the net ?
tongue.gif

emulator´s don´t look for the ring

or is the emulador that ignores the "code" ? ???

guess there's some sort of firmware on the cd-unit too as a sh1 bundled with a cache of 512kb (right?) size is running it and transfers data. maybe that it's not the bios causing the region check? ???

an emulator could easily tell the bios that the game is ok. well the region check in ssf f.e. doesn't need the specific bios to run. i use the european for games of any reagions...

my ssf with american bios don´t play european or japanese games

just american games, it´s good to test the cd´s
smile.gif

The copy protection check is probably integrated into the SH1, and unless the disc is validated it won't work (that's how I would have designed it anyway). Emulators can't check the protection even if they wanted to since PCs lack the hardware to do so. The region check is performed by the BIOS, but the region it compares against is determined by some jumpers on the motherboard which is why you can make region switches.

Originally posted by Surfin7@Aug. 23 2002, 10:52 am

smile.gif

It would play Japanese and European games, it just doesn't detect the region automatically.

You need to tell it which region you want it to play.

Originally posted by mal+Aug. 23 2002, 4:08 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mal @ Aug. 23 2002, 4:08 am)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Surfin7@Aug. 23 2002, 10:52 am

smile.gif

It would play Japanese and European games, it just doesn't detect the region automatically.

You need to tell it which region you want it to play.[/b][/quote]

upz, little detail
sarcasm.gif

tongue.gif

thanks for all the info. i think i'm going to build a region-switch then and get a mod-chip as swapping disks is quite annpying...

Back