Saturn Model 1 vs 2

Two differences of each are that the Model 1 has oval buttons, and the Model 2 has round circle buttons. Plus the slot where the ribbon cable goes on the motherboard is 20 pins. Whereas on the Model 2 it's 21 pin (I highly doubt you care about that though). The benefit of the Model 1 is that you can perform the swap easily (that's why I want a #### Model 1), but the downside to a Model 1 is that finding a mod-chip for it, is about like finding a needle in a haystack (only harder is what I hear ;)). The benefit of Model 2 is that mod-chips are easy to find. Downside is that it's harder to the the #### swap trick.

I'd trade my Model 1 for a chipped Model 2 in a heartbeat. I hate swapping, even though I'm so damned good at it.

i have found only one problem with swapping the stupid saturn won't pick up after disc one like in mr. bones or panzer i guess it waits to detect the door closing again before it kicks in. :( so i best get a model 2 so that i can use a mod chip thanx guys for the info.

Most Chinese stores which mod Saturns can do any version, so you don't need to search for 20 pin mods. They can also make your unit autodetect the game region on startup.

Quote: from Cecilia Chen on 2:09 am on Mar. 19, 2002

Most Chinese stores which mod Saturns can do any version, so you don't need to search for 20 pin mods. They can also make your unit autodetect the game region on startup.
Just out of interest, where do these Chinese stores exist? As you can see there are many people with model 1 Saturns that want to get them modded. Just saying 'go to a Chinese store' doesn't seem that helpful...

BTW any idea how they do the auto detect?

Mailing them is out of the question. I've had payments and materials outright vanish while they were traversing China. God, mailing packages to Australia was faster.... and less theft-ridden.

Quote: from Raijin Z on 7:14 pm on Mar. 19, 2002

God, mailing packages to Australia was faster.... and less theft-ridden.
I should hope so too.

Although the logic behind the comparison interests me... ;)

Australia is a few thousand miles across at least one continent and an ocean from me, depending on which way you go. So is China, just further north. I've never had packages or payment come up missing when mailing back and forth with an associate in Australia, but a few people I was working with in HK had trouble receiving my shipments, and more than once some of their mail to me never arrived.

Oh yeah, I mailed a gun catalog to Malaysia a couple years ago. It took four days to get there, and the only problem during the shipping was on my end. Small town postal employees were too #### nosey about what I was doing mailing packages and money orders all over the planet every week. I've since moved to a city that could care less what I do.

(Edited by Raijin Z at 9:08 am on Mar. 19, 2002)

Well as for getting them modded, the last time I checked a bunch of stores in Toronto did them. Also you if you wanted, you could just buy a pre-modded system as well.

As for the region detection, Im not sure what electronics they add to the saturn. At one point the import store National Consol Support had also made an autodetect for region settings, but they said because of so many Saturn revisons it was too much of a pain to do everyones.

That sounds like a BIOS replacement or overlay hack, unless they manage to connect a really basic Satellite-like ROM to the cartridge port while still leaving it usable for other stuff.

Hmm... I might be in Toronto for a weekend during May, and I have a few friends who live out that way. I might check around while I'm there, but I only saw one classic game shop when I was out there two years ago.

Yeah, that was the one. I stuck around Young, Keele, Jane, and Wilson. Together we were FIVE FORCE RANGER TEAM! Or maybe I just drove up and down them for a week.

Can you guys let me know an actual stores name in toronto where i can get a mod board or get my stauirn modded??? And what game shop on yonge? yonge and what?

darn why do i gotta live in bc :( oh well i guess just going to have to get me a mod board and one of those 5 in 1 cart's from china :S

Christ, I can't fathom how one would speak "Asian". I think it would be incomprehensible gibberish full of Ks and Ls.

Back