Saturn Model2 drive exchaning.

Well, a few weeks ago, my Model2 Saturn power board decided to burst a capacitance and fry the motherboard out in the process. Luckly my previous Saturn (dead due to the CD Drive) was also a Model 2. So, I decided to take the CD Unit of the more recent to the old one...

Here the trouble started. You see, my previous drive is one of those Sanyo Drives with a PC-Trap, that I disconnected. The drive I've fit in is a diferent model, I belive it's an Hitachi, but I'll check later. After a little trial, the drive booted, but it simply won't bother checking the ring on the original Saturn games (er, and on the backups either). It will still play CD-Audio, and seems to know what is a data track or not...

Anyone has a suggestion? I've started to think about reconnecting the PC-Trap, anyone belives this would do good? The Sanyo would boot without the PC-Trap, never the less.

That's a bit odd.

I've certainly swapped 32 and 64 pin CD boards before with no problem and I thought I'd put a 32 pin CD board into a Sanyo CD Saturn as well. ???

I'll try my one when I get home tonight.

OK, so I didn't do it the same day.
blush.gif

I have swapped a 32 pin CD board into my Sanyo CD Saturn without the PC Trap board and it worked fine. It also modded using the 'A+B' method too.
smile.gif

That's interesting. I was just working on a Sanyo with a pc trap today. I have an older model 2 Saturn with no PC trap, which would only occasionally boot due to a power supply on the way out. So I bought the Sanyo to replace it. For the life of me, I can't get my modchip to work. So I was thinking of using the power supply from the sanyo in the other unit. There's nothing wrong with the cd drive in it or anything, just the power supply occasionally acts up. Either of you guys think this will work? Or any other suggestions for me? Figured i'd ask, seems you both are knowledeable in using different parts to make a complete working saturn.

Actually, I'm having the same problems as you Taka. I just recieved a 64 pin board from another forumer as a swap for a 32 pin board. I can't get it to do anything except read audio CDs. I've tried it in both an 80200A-03 and 80200A-50 but with no difference.

I'm hoping he's not having the same problems with the 32 pin board he received from me...

Originally posted by zx7ninja@Feb. 05 2003, 12:53 pm

So I was thinking of using the power supply from the sanyo in the other unit. There's nothing wrong with the cd drive in it or anything, just the power supply occasionally acts up. Either of you guys think this will work? Or any other suggestions for me? Figured i'd ask, seems you both are knowledeable in using different parts to make a complete working saturn.

It may work, depending on the power supplies.

I've now come across 3 different types, one 110v and two different 240v ones. ???

As long as the replacement will physically fit, I don't think there will a problem:

The 110v PS had 5v/5v/0v/0v (32 pin Saturn)

One 240v PS had 9v/5v/5v/0v/0v (32 pin Saturn)

and all the pins lined up OK. I was swapping the 240v PS into a Japanese Saturn so I wouldn't need a transformer and the 9v section just ends up being unused/not connected to the main board.

The second type of 240v PS had 9v/5v/3.3v/0v/0v (64 pin Saturn) and the power connectors were in a physically different location on the board, so there would be no way to fit it in either the first Euro or the Japanese Saturns and get things totally wrong. Did that make sense?

IIRC (and I'll check this) the Sanyo CD Saturn I have has 9v/5v/5v/0v/0v PS just like a 32 pin Saturn.

Hmm, might have to buy a US Saturn or two...

Yep, my Euro Sanyo CD Saturn has the same power supply as my two Euro 32pin Saturns.

I don't know if this will have any bearing on US Saturns, but it might.
smile.gif

Back