Saturn modifications

WiseMan are you ignoring my posts or something? I must have explained this 3 times already.

Every PAL TV I've seen since 1993 has had a SCART socket...

Like it or not, you'll need a SCART... there's absolutely NO way around that.

That would suprise me tho... they generally follow the European standard when it comes to television. Using the PAL standard for example. It would seem odd to intentially create PAL TV's without SCART...

If that's really an issue, my American CDX manages to display 60Hz NTSC through a A/V cable.... on my widescreen TV...

Scart connectors are fairly uncommon here on consumer televisions. Sure monitors like the old Commodore 1084's have Scart sockets, but very few modern devices include them. Most newer TV's have component input (RGB, but not really), older TV's at best have S-Video. Maybe more expensive brands include Scart, but not that I've seen.

It's the exact opposite over here. 95% of TV's would have RF and SCART... anything more, like A/V or S-Video is quite uncommon. In fact, most people use A/V's by using A/V to SCART adaptors.

Originally posted by Curtis@Jun 17, 2003 @ 02:48 PM

That's straight out of the Disk Smith catalogue, isn't it you thieving Arab!
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

It's a fair cop guv.
wink.gif

Shakey Jake33, I don't think I've ever seen a TV with a scart connector.
blink.gif

Shakey Jake33 is right..

Here in europe _all_ tv sets have SCART and RF connections.. S-Video and Composite connections are only available in expensive tvs.

IME composite is more common than RGB-Scart, but if you want S-video you'll usually need a TV with two Scart connectors (one is usually RGB, the other S-video).

It's worth mentioning that new consoles today come with A/V leads with SCART adaptors to use on UK TV's with a SCART but no A/V (80% of them).

People who still ony have standard RF cannot use many new consoles, as it's so uncommon now to find TV's only equiped with RF.

Some have actually found to be incompatible, and there are actually no RF units manufactured for at least one of the major 3 consoles right now.

guess what..

I have NEVER seen an Australian TV with a scart input before in my life. I also have a commodore 1084S and that doesn't either. However it has an rgb input BUT it is too small a screen for my liking.

ok here is the response from LAWRENCE WRIGHT of Game Station X

as you can see he has broken down my questions and answered them.

> My PAL megadrive 2 has a 60hz mod. When i switch to 60hz the screen

The speed of the system (50/60Hz) and the output color system

(NTSC/PAL) are set independantly on the MD. Usually they're tied

together, so changing the speed ALSO changes the color encoding, but

you haven't given enough details for me to say if this is the case or

not. IIRC the MD2 uses a CXA1145 video encoder, the datasheet is

available on the web and will tell you which pin is used to set

PAL/NTSC encoding (but it does NOT set 50/60Hz).

> goes black and white. The megadrive is using a rf cable.

This is largely irrelevant, the RF cable is just an AV cable with an

RF adaptor on the end.

> The dreamcast also somehow gets colour ntsc through an rf cable.

That's because it's the same as the MD2 - the AV output is combined

in the RF box on the cable, not inside the machine.

> people are saying i will never get ntsc colour on a megadrive or

> saturn without an rgb or scart lead.

Totally wrong. I am not sure if the 1145 chip uses different

components for the color encoding differences between PAL and NTSC,

but the problem is simply that you are (or aren't) changing both the

50/60Hz speed and the encoding type at the same time on the MD2 where

you aren't (or are) on the other systems.

Lawrence.

I think that quite simply puts this whole matter in its place. opinions?

dont say you already said this one either shakey cuz u didnt
tongue.gif

Your source sounds like he knows what he's talking about, so I'm sure that's the case. It would certainly explain the Dreamcast scenario.

I'm quite suprised at the lack of SCART on Australian TV's actually. I would have thought that given the region generally uses European appliances due to it's adoption of the PAL standard, I would have thought it would have gotten SCART by default... I guess not.

Shame, they deliver unbeatable picture quality... I wouldn't dream of using an RF on a games console these days.

One thing I do feel I should mention... surely changing the colour output to NTSC but not changing the speed to 60Hz would mean it's, by definition, not actually NTSC? Just a thought.

i do feel quite ripped off about the lack of common scart inputs around here. i do believe the "top of the range" sorta tv's have those inputs but at the price you pay i'd expect maximum functionality and compatibility anyway.

i intend to find out more about this video encoding business. if that can be fixed then problem solved.

new problem. video encoder info for saturn and megadrive. i suppose though i should do the mod to the saturn first and try the results becuase as it seems here results have been up and down all over the place.

The other day I connected my JAP saturn in my brother´s Sony tv using the A/V cable and guess what I got color no b/w but the quality was very bad compared to rgb. Get a modern TV.

Back