Saturn on VGA

Has anyone hooked up the Saturn to a PC monitor using one of those AV-VGA boxes? If a SVHS cable is used, how good is is picture quality/framerate?

I've not had practical experience with these devices, but I can tell you that framrate will not be affected in any way.

Originally posted by yuc02@Mar 9, 2003 @ 10:57 AM

Has anyone hooked up the Saturn to a PC monitor using one of those AV-VGA boxes? If a SVHS cable is used, how good is is picture quality/framerate?

I've got a "Cheese box" the cheapest SVHS to VGA converter, and it works well, the picture is a little grainy (but then all affordable converters are), but at only 35 UKP it's price. However it does require a monitor that can sync to 50/60Hz

Alex

Are there any major differences between typical computer speakers and Klipsch ProMedia speakers? I suppose it depends on what you consider "major"...

What I mean is that if I use Cheese box SVHS, is image quality considerably worse than composite image on TV? And if I use XRGB-2, whether the image quality is better than RGB on TV?

Yes there are differences, everytime you convert a video source it loses quality. the xrgb-2 uses a single upscan conversion as I understand it, to convert the video to vga. The cheaper boxes convert things as many as 5 or 6 times, with a video quality decrease each time. If you're looking for good video quality (and that's why you want to go vga) the xrgb-2 is the way to go, however if you don't really care about video quality then a lower end one could work for you *shrug* they have in depth reviews of the xrgb-2 at gamesx.com if you want more specific information on what it does.

It's not excactly the same but I would like to take some pic of saturn games using my PC. I thought about pluging a video cassette recorder on my PC TV Rave. Then I could take some pic easily. Do you think it could work ?

A long time ago I tried to plug an old VCR and I was able to use it by defining a TV channel. Now I can't do the same with my latest VCR, is there something special to do instead of definig a channel ?

PS : maybe I need to make a new topic.

Originally posted by vbt@Mar 9, 2003 @ 08:52 PM

It's not excactly the same but I would like to take some pic of saturn games using my PC. I thought about pluging a video cassette recorder on my PC TV Rave. Then I could take some pic easily. Do you think it could work ?

A long time ago I tried to plug an old VCR and I was able to use it by defining a TV channel. Now I can't do the same with my latest VCR, is there something special to do instead of definig a channel ?

PS : maybe I need to make a new topic.

Just connect the Saturn directly to the SVHS or CVBS connectors on the back, if you are desparate, use the RF connector, but try one of these first.

No need to "Tune in" just select the other input (SVHS/CVBS) in the software.

You will of course need the correct cables.

Later

Alex

Originally posted by yuc02@Mar 9, 2003 @ 07:11 PM

What I mean is that if I use Cheese box SVHS, is image quality considerably worse than composite image on TV? And if I use XRGB-2, whether the image quality is better than RGB on TV?

Nothing will look "Better" than on your TV, without post processing. The best you can hope for is "as good as".

Alex

talking about PCtv rave... when I hook up my Megadrive to it using RF I get only black and white... then once (but only once) when I started the PCTV program it suddenly appeared in full color
blink.gif

I've had similar problems when messing with watching TV on my comp(turning black and white)... if you change the connectors in the options from composite(or svideo) to cable and then back, or vice versa it should fix it. At least that's what does it in my case. If that was of no help I apologize in advance.
unsure.gif

Good timing for this topic!

I just placed an order for a Commodore 1084S-D1 monitor strictly for RGB display on my Saturn. I'm gonna hack up a Saturn S-Video cable and attach a DB-9 connector on the end.

Plus, I'll have no need for an expensive upscan converter because Commodore monitors are non-VGA and have the godly 15.75khz h-scan rate. XD

*spins out of control in his chair*

Whee
smile.gif
I have one of these Commodore monitors myself, and the picture is godly even with an S-video connection (I don't bother with RGB).

That said, I think he's going about it the right way - Saturn S-Video cables have all of the pins on the Saturn-side plug (the standard composite cable does not, actually), so by resoldering wires I suppose he should be able to get the RGB signal off his Saturn and into the monitor...

Well, I should be getting my XRGB-2 ($100
cool.gif
) next week and I'll be using RGB with it, so I'll share my impressions when it comes. There's really no way I could be disappointed since I've been playing in RF up to now.

This is more of a going to university present for next fall. I won't have room for a TV in my dorm, so I'll use my monitor instead.

Originally posted by Taelon@Mar 11, 2003 @ 02:32 PM

Whee
smile.gif
I have one of these Commodore monitors myself, and the picture is godly even with an S-video connection (I don't bother with RGB).

That said, I think he's going about it the right way - Saturn S-Video cables have all of the pins on the Saturn-side plug (the standard composite cable does not, actually), so by resoldering wires I suppose he should be able to get the RGB signal off his Saturn and into the monitor...

I would have thought working with an RGB lead would have been easier.
huh.gif

And it would look better.
smile.gif

Nooo, mal... the Saturn s-video cable does provide RGB signals, they're just not wired... you can solder more wires to the remaining pins on the Saturn-side plug... and get the RGB that way... make sense?
biggrin.gif

And the 1084 monitor uses a somewhat unusual 6-pin DIN connector for analog RGB signals, itself... you wouldn't find an RGB cable anywhere that's already right for both the Saturn and the monitor... you'd have to solder it eventually...

That said... I think a jump from RF to S-video (not RGB) should be massive already, so if I were him I'd just go with that, but hey...
smile.gif

What I meant was that on one hand you are hacking the back of a plug with an S-Video cable or you are joining existing wires with an RGB cable. With a plug that size that the Saturn's is I know what I'd rather be doing.

As far as only going to S-video, I just can't see the point of getting an RGB monitor and not going the extra step.
huh.gif

But hey, if you're happy, I'm happy.

Have you considered that you might not be able to open up the plug at the Saturn end? Those moulded plugs are usually only designed to be attached once...

Back