Saturn Seq->Midi Converter released

It's strange, I can't play any of the MIDI files that are generated with your tool with Windows Media Player. However, they play fine with Winamp. Another thing I noticed is that the MIDI I get from Sakura Taisen's theme music

G:\SAKURA1\ADVBGM01

is of different file size than the one you posted in the Developers Central forum. Yours is 30,277 bytes while mine is 30,789 bytes. Yours play fine with Windows Media Player as well. Did you do anything extra to make it compatible with WMP?

BTW, this is a kick-ass tool you made. Thanks!
smile.gif

All those midi's are also from an older version of the converter and/or edited with cakewalk(which could fix whatever is breaking wmp). It could be that media player doesn't like some of the tempo changes or something. *shrugs* I really didn't bother testing any other media players since winamp and cakewalk loaded them fine. I'll spend some time next week on it.

Update: Forget next week. Spent about 5 minutes and solved the problem easily. Seems as though when I rewrote the tempo stuff I forgot to adjust the MTrk chunk size. I guess WMP doesn't like it when the declared MTrk chunk size is larger than the actual size. Get the new version here:

http://www.emuxhaven.net/~translationnext/...seq2mid10b2.zip

Cyber Warrior X

Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata@Oct. 26 2002, 9:03 pm

Yours play fine with Windows Media Player as well. Did you do anything extra to make it compatible with WMP?

OK, I've managed to make the MIDI files compatible with WMP by using Winamp. In Winamp, go to File info (Alt+3), then "save..." to a new file.

Winamp says the MIDI file is incomplete:

advbgm0100_old.gif

The new file saved using Winamp seems to fix the problem:

advbgm0100_new.gif

However, these two

G:\SAKURA1\ADVBGM08

G:\SAKURA1\ADVBGM23

are still having problems with WMP compatibility even after I applied the Winamp fix above. ???

Originally posted by CyberWarriorX@Oct. 26 2002, 9:45 pm

All those midi's are also from an older version of the converter and/or edited with cakewalk(which could fix whatever is breaking wmp). It could be that media player doesn't like some of the tempo changes or something. *shrugs* I really didn't bother testing any other media players since winamp and cakewalk loaded them fine. I'll spend some time next week on it.

Cyber Warrior X

Makes sense.
smile.gif
Maybe CakeWalk can fix those 2 files I mentioned above?

Try 1.0b2(see my update from the earlier post). Hrm, the fix won't get those 2 files you mentioned working, but yes, opening and saving with cakewalk fixes them.

Cyber Warrior X

It's probably something that WMP is just really picky about. My honest guess is a tempo change problem as both use more than the standard amount(2) that 99% of seq's use. ADVBGM08 itself uses 154 tempo changes(most I've ever seen in a seq). For now, yeah, just use cakewalk or be happy with winamp. I've done a few checks already and it looks like it's one of those bugs that'll take me a few hours to fix. So unless there's another game that has a seq that uses a ton of tempo changes(and won't load in WMP), I don't consider this a real priority to fix right now. Perhaps next week maybe
wink.gif

Cyber Warrior X

Slightly off-topic question for MasterAkumaMatata:

just how do you get WinAmp to play MIDI files? Mine just won't do it. I installed the lite version of 2.81 (the download page doesn't mention anything about MIDI support being in the standard and full versions but not the lite one).

Are you using Winamp 3.x? Is the MIDI plugin optional, and if so where do I find it? I didn't find anything MIDI-related in the plugin pages on winamp.com, either.

Makes me feel pretty stupid
tongue.gif
usually I'm the one telling others where to find stuff!!! Anyway thanks
smile.gif

I'm not the Master, but I'll answer anyway. The full installation of Winamp should come with the MIDI plug-in, but you can download it (along with other updated 2.81 plugins) from here.

Whoa, awesome! Thanks matey
smile.gif
I can't wait to play with that webpage when I get home from work. As far as I'm concerned you are my Master ;-)

Originally posted by CyberWarriorX@Oct. 28 2002, 11:55 am

Only a quarter of a cookie since the last bunch just looked like an attempt to spout out whatever I've worked on in the past
wink.gif

Cyber Warrior X

That's OK, your cookie wasn't that good anyway. It's not like it's a cupcake or something.
smile.gif

first of all, i really like that tool. ^.^ but wouldn't it be nice to have some kind of winamp-plugin which can play those files? i mean, you might be able to work around midi's incapability to let instruments sound like the original ones too?

oh yeah, this isn't a request or anything. just an idea which i had in mind when listening to some converted file sin winamp...
tongue.gif

Well, I've been toying with the idea of writing a type of ton->dls converter as well, then having a third program attach the resulting dls and mid files together and form an rmi with dls info(which from what I can tell -is- supported by winamp). But who knows. Besides, there's still bugs to fix in seq2mid first.

Cyber Warrior X

Back