Saturn to SD Card

vbt

Staff member
just to mention cafe-alpha devblog :) this looks really promising.
At that time, I connected a SD card to my second pad port on my Saturn and could read files successfully. However, file write sometimes failed ... I thought about many possible causes of failures (not enough 3.3V power supply ? Bad luck ? etc etc), but it was a software bug : writing sectors to SD card actually takes longer than reading sectors, and I didn't waited enough for my SD card to finish write.
Changing poll timeout count from 500 clocks to 50000 clocks seems to fix the problem. (Q&D fix, but if it works fine, I won't change it
biggrin.gif
)

So now, as SD card read/write access works on both yabause and real hardware, it is time to to use it in order to develop new features for my Saturn
smile.gif

http://ppcenter.webou.net/devblog/article/71/could-finally-write-a-file-to-my-sd-card.html

Thank you for the announcement here !

However, it is not a high-spec super fast solution, because all SPI communication with SD card is done on SH-2 side. So transfer speed should be something like 50KB/s-ish (maybe, I didn't measured).

Special thanks to antime ! This SD card project is made from USB dev cart project sources :)

PS : it seems that latest PCB prototype (pre-release) is lost somewhere between PCB house and my home ... So I will use something else than DHL next time I order a PCB ...

That's a shame about the PCB, cafe-alpha =(. Otherwise, it sounds like a great advancement in Saturn cartridge technology =D.

That's a shame about the PCB, cafe-alpha =(. Otherwise, it sounds like a great advancement in Saturn cartridge technology =D.

Yeah, finally I re-ordered one batch, with super expensive UPS this time :/
I hope PCB house will be kind enough to re-send lost PCBs.

another big news :
Additional testing of my test cartridge showed that Shining Force scenario 3 was "working" well when using memory expander hack
smile.gif

By "working", I mean that game was working fine (no freeze, black screen whatever) while looking for save data on SD card.
I didn't verified if save data was consistent or not, this can be verified and eventually fixed later
hehe.gif

more details : http://ppcenter.webou.net/devblog/article/78/shining-force-3-works.html

Back