Save Files

I have been using a flash GBA... I am interested in finding save files of completed games such as I have found for the Dreamcast prior to now. I haven't had any luck at all. I can understand roms not being distributed, but are there any reasons why save files may be restricted as well?

It seems like it should be public domain as the player has created it in a way. Dreamcast saves may be available because the system is discontinued. But generally, save files are very small and easy to distribute; I would think there would be a demand for them.

Anyway, now I really want an unlocked save file for Tony Hawk 4 on GBA. :(

There were save files for Dreamcast on GameFAQs even back when the system was alive and kicking. GameFAQs is usually associated with being on the right side of the law, so I would imagine they're legal for Dreamcast. As for GBA, I have no clue, sorry.

don't know the real answer to your question, but let me offer this view:

DC save files were used on the actual system

GBA save files are used on an emulator

Think it this way... are cheat devices legal?

The "not endorsed by" thing is something to consider...

Backwards engineering isn't legal, as far as I know.

As long as you own the game you're using the save file for, I dont see why any company would have any problems with it. I've never seen any legal warnings about copying save files, and so if taking a mem card to a mate's house to copy a save across is legal, then why should copying on a bigger scale be illegal?

I would look at it as the code in a save file is every bit as copyrighted as the code in the game. Maybe Nintendo is as anal about this as they are about roms.

Memory Cards have encryption/security measures for some reason.

Save files may lead to destruction, example - Microsoft Xbox.

I would look at it as the code in a save file is every bit as copyrighted as the code in the game.

Some save files could contain copyrighted code/data, but it seems unlikely that such a practice is common. Generally, data processed/generated by a program does not "inherit" the copyright of the program. Probably the reason you don't see lots of saves for GBA is that the hardware/software necessary to use them is associated with warez, whereas Dreamcast has official support for downloading them and PSX/PS2 can get them through Gameshark / Action Replay (or DexDrive for PSX).

Think it this way... are cheat devices legal?

In the US they generally are (see Galoob v. Nintendo). The early EMS ones probably infringe on Datel's copyrights though.

The "not endorsed by" thing is something to consider...

That's there generally to avoid false advertising and trademark lawsuits, because they usually have the name of the system on the packaging.

Backwards engineering isn't legal, as far as I know.

It depends on the methods used, any contracts between the parties involved, and the law of the country / province you are in. AFAIK in the US it is generally held to be legal but it's possible to do it in an illegal way or come up with an illegal product. The de facto standard for doing it right is called "clean-room reverse engineering". This is when you put together two teams to develop the product, and only one team gets to do the actual reverse engineering. This team produces documentation for the design team, which is isolated from all contact with the original product/code. The only communication between the two teams consists of documentation that does not contain any of the original code or product design. This approach is not required by law but is a defense against claims by the developer of the original product that your team accidentally copied code, design elements, etc.

it is legal to reverse engineer outdated hardware, like the Atari 2600, provided you do it for your own private reasons, and presumably, you don't share how you did it. the facts you gain by reverse engineering the hardware, are likely free for anyone you want.

this is in the DMCA update, that doesn't make ROMs legal despite the myth.

it is legal to reverse engineer outdated hardware, like the Atari 2600, provided you do it for your own private reasons, and presumably, you don't share how you did it.

I don't think any of these requirements apply. The potential illegalities I was referring to are things like industrial espionage (illegal methods) and patent infringement (illegal product). There are companies that do professional reverse engineering (the most famous is probably TAEUS, which is rumored to stand for Tear Apart Everything Under the Sun :D, though everyone's favorite Xbox hacker also started one).

ok... let's say someone here has a sav file for Tony Hawk 4 (GBA cart... so the dreamcast file share issues would not apply).

Could someone send me a copy of their save file? It would be the equivalent of borrowing someone's memory card for a home system and playing their saved game.

Right? Or am I doing something illegal? I mean, c'mon now! Next thing you know, I won't be able to borrow my friend's controllers!

Save files can be freely distributed, but I believe that the guy who made it owns the copyright. e.g. you get 10 Billion dollars in GT3, save it to a Memory card, and others copy it, its still yours.

however it isn't possible to enforce the copyright, so if someone rips your saves and advertises he got everything in the game, but its yours, you have a tough time proving it.

Back