SCD Mixing Cable -- Need Info

racketboy

Established Member
Ok, I would like to know if I should get a mixing cable.

I have a Model 2 Genny, a Model 2 Sega CD, and a 32X (for good measure)

Should I get a mixing cable? I'm not sure what it does, so any info would be helpful

Thanks!

I wanna know too
biggrin.gif

They're hard to find and I was lucky enough to get one when I got my Model 1 Sega CD. What the Mixing Cable does is run from the Sega CD to the headphones jack on the Genesis then you can hook up not just the White AV Jack, but also the Red so you can get true Stereo sound. I'm not sure if the Genesis 2 has the headphones jack, I haven't seen one in a long time.

No at all. The SEGA/MEGA-CD have 2 extra signals on two pins of the connector (They are not conected on the original Genesis, just have the pin, buty unused) that are used to "listen" the audio output from the console and then mix that audio with the PCM and CD-DA audio for the stereo RCA jacks on the SEGA-CD. If your Genesis is a original model 1 console, you need the mixing cable to get the Genesis audio (PSG+OPN2+OPN2 PCM) on the SEGA-CD audio out.

People with Genesis 2 don't need it at all ...
smile.gif

Even if the SEGA-CD is the old version 1 (that combo is ugly btw, but works fine...
biggrin.gif
)

Originally posted by Vic Viper@Aug. 05 2002, 10:45 pm

No at all. The SEGA/MEGA-CD have 2 extra signals on two pins of the connector (They are not conected on the original Genesis, just have the pin, buty unused) that are used to "listen" the audio output from the console and then mix that audio with the PCM and CD-DA audio for the stereo RCA jacks on the SEGA-CD. If your Genesis is a original model 1 console, you need the mixing cable to get the Genesis audio (PSG+OPN2+OPN2 PCM) on the SEGA-CD audio out.

People with Genesis 2 don't need it at all ...
smile.gif

Even if the SEGA-CD is the old version 1 (that combo is ugly btw, but works fine...
biggrin.gif
)

Ok that's what I was thinking.

I used to use the Model 2 Genny/Model 1 CD combo too and I never actaully used the mixing cable. But yes, it is an ugly combo. That's whay I just bought a Model 2 CD and am gonna sell my model 1.
smile.gif

Thanks for the help!

it's a straight 1:1 headphone plug to headphone plug cable, can be bought at any shop that sells discmen/walkmen.

Actually the mixing cable is used for 1 thing I allways thought, when you hook it up from the genesis model 1 to the back of the sega cd unit you can then play any cd games you want like Sol-Feace for example, and youo can use the volume control on the genesis to turn up and down the sound fx on the game to the level of your listening choice..or even all the way off so you only hear the music of the game while you play..I think its a cool idea I only wish other systems had it as well, just for the games where the sound fx sucks badly and is way to loud/overpowering the music...

Back