scsi-dev-units vs. ar+comslink

hello,

currently I have a saturn, my old COMSLINK-card (from old psx-days) and a AR-pro (from lik-sang with db25-connector) . this and some tools should be enough to start coding ?

but where are the limits of my/this combo and have anybody more information about the scsi-dev-unit (appr. $400). yes I do a search and found 2 post, but no usefull info.

what´s possible with the scsi-dev-units ?

or is everything with AR ´n Comslink possible, but with another workflow ?

can the scsi-dev-units play imports and cdr`s ?

cu

seal1

hello,

currently I have a saturn, my old COMSLINK-card (from old psx-days) and a AR-pro (from lik-sang with db25-connector) . this and some tools should be enough to start coding ?

More than enough.

but where are the limits of my/this combo and have anybody more information about the scsi-dev-unit (appr. $400). yes I do a search and found 2 post, but no usefull info.

The limits... none that i know, you can do pretty mutch anything, including loading files from an offical CD or backups (if you have a mod-chip). There's even a nice debugger available.

>what´s possible with the scsi-dev-units ?

They make wonderfull doorstops
tongue.gif
Not mutch unless you're willing to give up a PC for CD-ROM SCSI Virtual CD emulation. And that's assuming you can find the software for your current version of the hardware. And assuming the dev thing works. The only tecnical(other than love for the machine)reason i can think of is that if you're lucky enough to find a dev unit with working CD-ROM reader, you might be able to debug games that are known to have complex text schemes, for translations.

or is everything with AR ´n Comslink possible, but with another workflow ?

can the scsi-dev-units play imports and cdr`s ?

They are exactly like normal saturns, so they can be modded, but don't run backups. Dunno about region.

cu

seal1

The limits... none that i know, you can do pretty mutch anything, including loading files from an offical CD or backups (if you have a mod-chip). There's even a nice debugger available.

sounds good ...

They make wonderfull doorstops :p Not mutch unless you're willing to give up a PC for CD-ROM SCSI Virtual CD emulation. And that's assuming you can find the software for your current version of the hardware. And assuming the dev thing works. The only tecnical(other than love for the machine)reason i can think of is that if you're lucky enough to find a dev unit with working CD-ROM reader, you might be able to debug games that are known to have complex text schemes, for translations.

mmh, it seem

a adaptec1542-isa-scsi-controller

a huge card (orger board for windows ? think to connect the virtual-cd-box to pc, any hint ?)

the cartdev ( doorstopper 1)

a cartridge, a virtual-cd-box? ( the 2nd doorstopper ;-) )

cables, manual, disks, a pad, a saturn ... in the dev-kit

what you mean with:

you can find the software for your current version of the hardware

drivers for the adaptec1542 or the orger board ?

They are exactly like normal saturns, so they can be modded, but don't run backups. Dunno about region.

to be 100% sure, if such a dev-unit equiped with a modboard they can play backups coz they are like normal saturns ?

anybody knows if they are 20 or 21 pin ?

I think 20pin coz oval-buttons and early production-cycle ?

so bad luck for moding ?

but with the virtual-cd-box it must be possible to play backups ?

seal1

>They are exactly like normal saturns, so they can be

>modded, but don't run backups. Dunno about region.

to be 100% sure, if such a dev-unit equiped with a modboard they can play backups coz they are like normal saturns ?

anybody knows if they are 20 or 21 pin ?

I think 20pin coz oval-buttons and early production-cycle ?

so bad luck for moding ?

but with the virtual-cd-box it must be possible to play backups ?

If you have one of these:

http://www.gamechoice.com.hk/saturn_devol_kit.gif

What's not a million miles from psy's set:

http://geocities.com/s_h_3/sega/saturn/psyq.htm

It's pretty moddable, since it is a plain Saturn, 20 pin, indeed...

Now about the Virtual CD stuff, you should read the related dev docs down at:

http://www.helsinki.fi/~ammonton/sega/docs.html

Since provably what you got is a load of japanese docs. From what I rremember, it can take up to 15 min to make a Virtual CD file...

hello,

thx TakaIsSilly

So now I don´t go wasting 400 buck$ to have some slighty better options in coding. I go for a second plain saturn with round buttons to modify it.

how good works the cdrw-adjustment-trick hosted here at segaextreme ?

seal1

Originally posted by seal1@Nov. 05 2002, 2:00 am

how good works the cdrw-adjustment-trick hosted here at segaxtreme ?

If you follow the steps carefully, I believe it works quite well.

However, it may significantly reduce the working life of your Saturn.

Back