Sega Camera on PS2?

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
Sega of Japan has signed an agreement with Sony to install the EyeToy camera for PlayStation 2 and the EyeToy games in the Sega arcade centers across Japan, include Shibuya Gigo, Sega World Kasai, SegaWorld Kawasaki and SegaWorld Odawara. Sega is planning to use the interactivity features of EyeToy to attract new players to the arcade centers.
- The Magic Box

Really weird news. Anybody know anything about these "EyeToy" games? Is it like a sensor that tells the game your reactions and puts them into the game or what?

Well Hell, you beat me. I registered as a user just to post a reply.

Haven't you seen the commercials on television for the Eyetoy? It shows a kid moving around in front of a TV and he's on the TV doing it but whacking bugs or something. A person runs off yelling "Billy's on the TV!" and in the small town he runs all over town telling people. There's a follow-up commercial that shows the whole town has come to the house and is watching Billy on the TV and they're completely amazed. Then the town's sheriff goes "How can Billy be here and on the TV? If Billy's on the TV then who's this?" The commercial cuts to a shot of Billy (a boy of about ten) with an expression of incredulity at the sheriff's stupidity as the other townfolk begin to wonder the same thing. Just how is Billy here if he's on the TV?

I've only read positive comments from people who have actually tried the games. Obviously they don't work so good if you play them alone but as party games they supposedly work great.

yeah at the gamestop I work, they have been flying off the shelves... I tried it, and saw no BIG DEAL... but whatever ... more sony crap..lol

sony is planning on making this thing a standard in the ps3 so you can manipulate menus ala monority report and the system can "sense" how your feeling (how they plan this is beyond me).

Ya, I went to my local gamecrazy on the weekend and a guy was trying an eyetoy out. It looked all right. Nothing really spectacular. It just showed him on the screen and he was trying to karate chop something.

They eyetoy is very picky about the background you use. I "tried" to play with it at BestBuy but the damn thing kept misreading like crazy. The games it comes with are basically a redo of the old as fuck games that were in "fashion" many years ago. These camera interactivity type games have been around for a decade at least.

Eyetoy is cool.

But it's only a USB Cam. The software (game) do all the job of Motion Detection.

Why Sega don't created something like this with the Dreameye??? :huh

I bought my kids a PS2 this Xmas and I have to say EyeToy is really cool - developed in the UK by Sony London it is basically a USB camera which uses motion detection in various simplistic games. Play was the first release and had about 12 different games on it which ranged from boxing to cleaning windows. It is really good fun especially with more than one person. The second release is Groove which is a dancing game, but without the dance-mat. Instead you have to strike the coloured balls and bars on screen in time to the music. It has licenced music from the likes of Kool and the Gang and Sly and the Family Stone, to more recent acts like the Sugarbabes and Mistique (UK acts, not sure if they are known outside the UK). It takes photos and videos which you can store on the memory card (if you want!) while you are dancing. A friend of mine said he didn't realise this and he tested it in his underwear on the night before Xmas, obviously got a high score, and when his kids tried it next day there he was in his knack swinging it all about!!

Another friend of mine (I have lots of mates!) who works for EA tells me it is colour sensitive more than motion sensitive and so they are developing a Harry Potter game which uses colour wands for spellcasting or something.

I think the thing with using Sony cameras, is all about money.

I bet Sony'll pay a shitload to sega for it.

+Sega pulled back from the hardware market, remember?

As for the EyeToy camera, it's 1 of 3 possible models.

Two which are registered on a computer as a Logitech cam, while the last one is just registered as the "model name/subtitle" of one of the 2 other Logitech cams...

Now why the heck is Sony using a Logitech camera?

Also, there's one BIG mistake sony made when they made the eyetoy (how it work in the current games)

The movement/triggering system is based on motion in the image the eyetoy sees.

Now, if they made it so you took one snap first, of just the background (without any persons/moving objects in it) and basicly just locked that image in the memory of the PS2.

Then, that picture could be used as a refferance picture for "changes".

This will basicly open the possibility to increase the motion detection system.

Only thing is that the refferance picture must either be used combined with the entire new moving picture, or the "character zone" in the middle of the picture must be an "empty zone" where the camera doesn't realy care about what happens at all...

EyeToy is a fun little thing, but if you ask me, along with a DDR + dancepad, it's just another thing to keep girls occupied infront of their boyfriend's console.

Back