Sega CD help

I just got a Sega CD, but there's one problem: the music in games doesn't work. The sound effects in the games work but the music won't, I don't know what's wrong. I have everything hooked up for bothe the Genesis and the Sega CD, the only thing that I'm missing is the metal plate that attaches to the bottom of the Genesis. Any help?

Are you using a model 1 Genesis? If so, you need the 'mixing cable' (1/8" headphone to 1/8" headphone, male to male) cable. Run that from the front of your Genesis to your Sega CD, set the volume at 5 on the headphone jack, and run stereo RCA cables from the back of the Sega CD unit to your TV/receiver. It sounds like right now you're just using the audio from the back of your Genesis, and if you do that, you'll just get the sounds produced by the Genesis' audio hardware (ie, sound effects).

Exactly, but if you hook up the Genesis' RCA cable to the TV, or if you're using RF, you'll just get the Genesis' sound because the Sega CD has no way to input its part of the mix. So, you have to run the sound from the Genesis to the SCD and output the sound from there.

Originally posted by it290@Sat, 2005-08-20 @ 02:26 AM

Are you using a model 1 Genesis? If so, you need the 'mixing cable' (1/8" headphone to 1/8" headphone, male to male) cable. Run that from the front of your Genesis to your Sega CD, set the volume at 5 on the headphone jack, and run stereo RCA cables from the back of the Sega CD unit to your TV/receiver. It sounds like right now you're just using the audio from the back of your Genesis, and if you do that, you'll just get the sounds produced by the Genesis' audio hardware (ie, sound effects).

[post=138461]Quoted post[/post]​

I already had all of this hooked up and no luck.

Hmm, OK, in that case, it may be that you're not getting an audio signal from the CD drive through the motherboard -- I can't remember if it's a seperate cable or not offhand, but your best bet is to open it up and make sure everything is connected properly.

Also, just checking, I assume you're using original discs? Because it is of course possible to burn just the data track of a game, or burn the audio tracks incorrectly and have this problem.

Yep they are original discs. I'll try opening it up later tonight or tomorrow like you suggested and see if there is anything wrong.

Back